Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering did they make a black powder frame during the 2nd Generation Single Action Army run? thanks

·
Registered
795 Posts
To the best of my knowledge they only made them in the Peacemaker Centennials 1873-1973.
And some fine shooting guns they are.
I have a pair of the F.S.S. that have at least 15,000 rounds through them, most of them B.P. never have had anything break on either one.
Take care, Duane

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
269 Posts
The second gen pair are Peacemaker Centennials. As far as I know they were the only BP frames made new for the 2nd gen. Also have one of the Cavalry 45s in blue. I had heard somewhere once that Colt found a couple of 1st gen BP frames at the bottom of the frame bin somewhere around 1970 or so, but after all these years don't remember where I heard that or what the final disposition of those frames were. Could they have been the genesis/inspiration of the Centennial series or were they made up into presentation pieces for some Colt exec? Did they even really exist or was someone just speculating? By this point in time I doubt we'll ever really know.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Starvation and Dallas, you mean like these? 2nd and 3rd, both sets 44 WCF.
great guns, your 3rd gen CFSS are almost the same configuration then mine. My etched panel gun is from 1994 and the nickel plated one is from 1986. My etched panel CFSS also wears ivory now. The ivory grips of the nickel plated CFFS are out at a carver right now together with some other ivory grips for some Colt 2nd gen C&B revolver
20200509_194651.jpg

I also have two CFSS from the Colt Peacemaker Commemoratives and one of the .45Colt which also has ivory grips.
20200321_144709.jpg

This two CFSS I used about 15 years for CAS and I don't know how many rounds are through them but I only had one bolt/trigger spring broken in all these years.

The second generation black powder frames are they special run? or normal run serial numbered? thanks
Colt produced 2000 Peacemaker Centennials of both models, 1500 each in single cases and 500 in two gun cases with one of each models. The matched pairs have MPC either as prefix or suffix to the S/N and the single cased models have PC added to the S/N.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The second gen pair are Peacemaker Centennials. As far as I know they were the only BP frames made new for the 2nd gen. Also have one of the Cavalry 45s in blue. I had heard somewhere once that Colt found a couple of 1st gen BP frames at the bottom of the frame bin somewhere around 1970 or so, but after all these years don't remember where I heard that or what the final disposition of those frames were. Could they have been the genesis/inspiration of the Centennial series or were they made up into presentation pieces for some Colt exec? Did they even really exist or was someone just speculating? By this point in time I doubt we'll ever really know.
That's a very interesting story maybe someone else can elaborate on that? thanks

·
Registered
610 Posts
With a sort of show and tell going on I'm posting a photo of four 1873-1973 Peacemaker Centennials that have given me great shooting joy. The only thing changed on them have been grips and some action slicking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts