Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,452 Posts
OK here goes: the 2nd Generation SAA in .44 Special was produced in two barrel lengths (5 1/2" and 7 12") and two finishes (blued/CC and Nickel) The .44 Special was introduced in the 2nd Generation SAA in 1958. The production breakdown is as follows:

*1129 blued/CC with 5 1/2" barrel
*124 Nickel with 5 1/2" barrel
*763 blued/CC with 7 1/2" barrel
*55 Nickel with 7 1/2" barrel

NOTE-- The 2nd Generation New Frontier in .44 Special was produced in small numbers. There were 118 with 5 12" barrel and 134 with the 7 1/2" barrel.

The above noted information was gleaned from Mr Don Wilkerson's excellent books on the 2nd Generation SAA and New Frontier.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I will have to look for the horse on the cylinder. Yep, that's a Rocky Patel Royal Vintage prop. I have no desire to sell it. Thank you all! I just looked at my receipt for this gun I couldn't remember how much I paid for it. I think maybe $1740.00 was not too much.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Great gun and even better price. Your fortunate it is an early '59 issue. It's a bit more rare than the figures above might indicate.

It has a full height hammer with fixed conical pin (same as late 1st gen) used 1955 thru mid-1959. The last half of 1959 it was replaced by the 'round top' short hammer, sometimes called the fast draw hammer which was used thru 1971.

Jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think your 2nd gen 44 spl. is worth in the $2500-$3000 range.
Maybe if it was unfired and in mint condition. His is very nice but it shows some wear. It's a good honest shooter so I'd place the value somewhere around $2k. I'm not an expert though by any means.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Maybe if it was unfired and in mint condition. His is very nice but it shows some wear. It's a good honest shooter so I'd place the value somewhere around $2k. I'm not an expert though by any means.
It would be interesting to see what experienced 2nd gen buyers, sellers, and collectors think the current market value of this gun is. I am not really tuned in to 2nd gen pricing. Birmingham Pistol would probably have it on GB for about $10k.

·
Premium Member
19,002 Posts
I sold mine for $2700 and the condition was about the same.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the input guys, I'm really not interested in selling the gun. I was just surprised that it was a scarce version of a Colt. And I really appreciate all the feedback I got here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts