Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1950 Woodsman with the 6" barrel and Colt rear sight and target front sight. So, I believe that makes this a "Woodsman Target". However, the left side grip is solid darker brown and does not have the thumb rest. The right grip is the same color and has the rampant Colt logo at the top. I believe these grips (the left one anyway) are for a 2nd generation Woodsman Sport. My question is....is it possible that this pistol came from the factory with Sport grips on a Target pistol? Or have these grips definitely been replaced. Or....FYI. The grip extenders that came with the pistol don't match the grip color...they are the dark and lighter brown mottled color. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
I have a 1950 Woodsman with the 6" barrel and Colt rear sight and target front sight. So, I believe that makes this a "Woodsman Target". However, the left side grip is solid darker brown and does not have the thumb rest. The right grip is the same color and has the rampant Colt logo at the top. I believe these grips (the left one anyway) are for a 2nd generation Woodsman Sport. My question is....is it possible that this pistol came from the factory with Sport grips on a Target pistol? Or have these grips definitely been replaced. Or....FYI. The grip extenders that came with the pistol don't match the grip color...they are the dark and lighter brown mottled color. Any help will be appreciated.
It sounds like you already know the answer. The stocks have been replaced.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
A 1950's Woodsman Sport would also have come with the mottled color stocks. The early year models would have had Coltwood stocks and the later year models would have had injection molded stocks. So as Rick has suggested...the stocks on your pistol have probably been replaced.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Your 2nd Series Woodsman with an open lower frame is wearing Challenger plastic stocks.
To be period correct you would want multi colored swirl plastic stock with Thumbrest, which would also match your grip adapters as I suspect they are hollow on the underside.
If you supply a serial number minus the last couple of digit replaced with XX a manufactured date can be determined as I suspect your pistol was manufactured in 1951.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info. Thanks. Good call... the grip adapters are hollow on the underside. Now I need to look for the right grips. I'm guessing that the period grips I find should fit without modification and the grip screw I have should work with them. Serial number is 816xx-S. I bought this with the brown hinged-cover Colt box (w/o any stickers on the end but with a price of $70 marked on the end of the cover), the brochure dated 9-50, the grip adapters and the cleaning rod. Nice package. Can't wait to take it to the range. Thanks again for all of your expert information and help.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Your determination of a 1950 mfg. was correct and obviously after 9/50 as indicated by the date manual.
The correct stocks made of plastic did have a tendency to warp due to over tightening of the mount screw and shrink due to a multitude of reason.. The warp can be corrected the shrinkage cannot. Your stock mount screw and escutcheon will function fine and would be considered period correct.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Great info. Thanks. Good call... the grip adapters are hollow on the underside. Now I need to look for the right grips. I'm guessing that the period grips I find should fit without modification and the grip screw I have should work with them. Serial number is 816xx-S. I bought this with the brown hinged-cover Colt box (w/o any stickers on the end but with a price of $70 marked on the end of the cover), the brochure dated 9-50, the grip adapters and the cleaning rod. Nice package. Can't wait to take it to the range. Thanks again for all of your expert information and help.

Mine is a 1948 Woodsman and is marked $70.00 as well. A good sum in those days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Prewoodsman, thanks for everything. I can't wait to get mine looking like tedm's above. Then I'll have an extra set of Challenger stocks...I guess I'll have to find a Challenger pistol with ugly aftermarket wood stocks for mine to live on. Thanks again to all.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Transition period:
tedm's 1950 would have a closed lower grip frame with Coltwood stocks, as indicated on his identification card.
and
soxfanchgo's 1950 as shown in his photographs is an open frame model and as such would have been supplied with multicolored plastic stocks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally get it. Bob Rayburn's website w/ pictures cleared it up....the open bottom of the grip frame and the anti-rotation changes to the grips. I can't thank you enough for helping me understand. Now I'll get the correct grips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts