Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saying the guns are in like condition, how much more would the second generation gun be worth. The reason I am asking is that I have a beautiful vintage holster and belt from the 50’s. My SAA is from 1978 and I have a chance to buy a 1958 identical gun which would keep the gun and belt period correct. Do the second generation gun have more value? Rookie here for sure.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I would try n find out what he’s looking for price wise , and offer a little less with cash , FTF .

you HAVE to judge every 58 and 78 on its own- but equal condition 58 would get + $300 no problem from me, easily more.

you sound like you’re able and want to pull the trigger on it . I suggest you make it happen , and if you’re smart never lose money on that 1958 . I would definitely try to keep your 78 though , and if need be let it go down road to offset.

Cash is USUALLY King , as is a buyer vs . seller . Use whatever leverage you have....... GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
132 Posts
I see a $500 to $800 price increase for 2nd gen over 3rd gen guns on the auction sites. Assuming the condition of both are equal.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Auction site prices are very "flexible", generally overpriced. All things being equal the '58 will be worth more, how much more is up to you.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A good friend told me a funny story 30 years ago . An older gent had his wooden boat for sale . My friend took along a short bottle of whisky knowing the fellow liked it . On start he gives the whisky and the old gent puts it in his pocket . Bartering starts and my friend offers less using the old stand by , that's cash . Well the older fellow ( wiser fellow ) says it seems you don't have all the money but have all the want . The old guy kept the whisky and walked off . Cash is not king to me when I'm selling at a fair price to start as well .

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The 1958 2nd gen Colt is a black box SAA and if in Like New and in 45 colt with box and papers I've seen prices in the $5000.00 range. Yes 2nd gens have more value so what is he asking?

·
Premium Member
18,986 Posts
The 2nd gens with serial numbers below 40000SA are my favorites, especially if they have their black boxes. Many people really like the later 3rd gen SAA's with the removable cylinder bushing. They seem to think those guns are of very high quality. To me, each one has to be examined closely for fit and finish.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Any 2'nd Generation SAA in like condition is worth more than a 3'rd Gen example. All the 2'nd Gen SAAs were made under the Dome in the old factory. The 3'rd Gen SAAs are assembled from mostly outsourced parts ever since they moved the factory. Even the later 2'nd Gen SAAs are IMO better quality even though they have a couple of cast parts. Here's a photo of one of the very last 2'nd Gen SAAs and the build quality is very high even though it's a Commemorative.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Concur with Mag318 that 2nd gens will carry more $$ than a 3rd Gen in similar condition. The basic planning factor for a long time was $1000 more for the 2nd gen (60s production stagecoach box). This has changed over the past couple of years and NIB 3rd Gens (Blue/CCH) increased in price and have closed the gap while the 2nd Gun market has remained relatively flat.

However, the 50s production guns with black boxes are the premium era of 2nd gens era and are priced as such. In this particular case, a conservative estimate is $1500 delta between your gun and the one you are looking at. Of course, barrel length can influence the value of both guns and if we are talking nickel finish....bring more cash.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any 2'nd Generation SAA in like condition is worth more than a 3'rd Gen example. All the 2'nd Gen SAAs were made under the Dome in the old factory. The 3'rd Gen SAAs are assembled from mostly outsourced parts ever since they moved the factory. Even the later 2'nd Gen SAAs are IMO better quality even though they have a couple of cast parts. Here's a photo of one of the very last 2'nd Gen SAAs and the build quality is very high even though it's a Commemorative.
This is great information. I know S&W’s a bit and the 50’s guns were hand fit with all machined parts for the most part. I would sell my NIB 1978 gun and purchase the like new 1958 gun BUT no box and pay about $400 boot. Am I out of my mind?

·
Premium Member
18,986 Posts
To me, a like new 1958 2nd gen SAA is worth more than the 1978 NIB. A $400 difference is not bad. I would make that deal.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If anyone is willing to sell me a NIB SAA from 1958 for a 1970s era 3rd Gen SAA and make it a trade +$400....would do that deal any day of the week and twice on Sunday

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Some good info here. But. No one has asked if the guns are exactly the same model and caliber? If they truly are the same guns then $400 is kinda trivial for like guns. If they aren't the same exact model and caliber I'd be asking more questions.

I have a few nice late '70s ('78, '79, early '80) 3rd gen guns. Nothing special about them. But there are a lot of 2nd Gen guns that are nothing special as well. 1958 2nd Gen should be a really nice gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts