Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I don't see a way on their site to be notified when the Python is in stock. It must be a Davidson's exclusive...wonder when they will actually have them.

Guess I'll have to call them on Monday and find out.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Sorry have not wiped the oil residue off yet ;)

View attachment 767563
I was wondering if you had specified something custom like you did with your Anaconda...though seeing a Python without a vented rib and underlug could be considered blasphemy.

Reactions: Buickgsman

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I wonder how colt settled on a three inch versus a two and a half inch version? And why not offer a small frame fitting service grip. Either is fine by me though.
The availability of original Python gold medallion service stocks may soon take a nose-dive with an attendant increase in values. Too bad way back when Colt didn't make the Python snubbies with a round butt with stocks designed for them. It had to have been a doable proposition since they made some round butt E-frames previously but maybe not considered a good financial proposition.

Reactions: Garandster

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Sportsman's Warehouse only has 4.25" and 6" Pythons and 3" King Cobras...every other Colt shows out of stock.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
No disrespect intended...but how can you do a thorough review without actually shooting it? If all that's being done is an overview...then what's the point? Shooters want to know whether a gun can not just look good but actually do what's it's designed to do...shoot and shoot well.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I just had this 3" Python shipped in...filled out the Marylandstan paperwork for the 7-day jail sentence before I can bring it home. But after I do...this Python is going back to Colt unless they'll send me the part. The revolver looks beautiful except for the cylinder release which has a noticeable chunk gouged out of it...never should have left Colt that way...unacceptable for such a premium piece. I'll call them and see how they want it handled...send me a return authorization or send me a new cylinder release and I'll install it.
Blue Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Just a question. Why did you accept the Revolver in that condition?
I didn't buy it from the FFL holder doing the transfer for me...it's not their fault or responsibility. If the Python was store inventory that would have been a different situation.

Reactions: Burgs and TBone

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I get that it could have...have seen a number of guns with scratches and such that were done by ham handed customers at gun stores. This was shipped in from a distributor to the FFL holder and I was there when the box was opened.

Regardless...I'm going to through Colt. I already called but their customer service line is full...will try again later.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
You want brutal? Try shooting magnums out of a Colt Lawman with a 2" barrel! Colt engineers referred to that as the "Wax Model" as that's what exited your ears when shooting it.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I did a web search for "Colt Python 3" for sale" and eventually found one being sold at MSRP. All the others were significantly higher. When I did find it I jumped on it immediately before someone else did.

It takes some perseverance.

I've every expectation Colt will make it right. It is surprising it came that way but it's an easy fix and the revolver is still perfectly functional in the meantime.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The moving plans are getting scary...the hope is to move in September but I really have to ramp up getting rid of things here we won't be taking plus getting this house ready to go on the market. Need to stay away from the 'puter except for what's absolutely necessary.

But after two snows last week plus ice...AZ looks better all the time. We'll be happy to leave MD in the rear view mirror.

Reactions: TBone

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Gotta agree with Salamander. Both will do the same job but each with a different feel. The King Cobra 3" does have fixed sights against the Python's adjustable sights...which is an advantage for a concealed carry gun as well as its smaller size.

Reactions: Bowhunter41

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Just picked up my 3" Python from MD's seven-day jail...the factory left a lot of oil on and in it...no real problem. If I have any gripes from just a quick visual check and handing it's that the front sight could be a bit thinner as it all but fills up the rear sight notch. Colt had a thinner sight in the 2.5" Pythons of old...guess it's considered not necessary for a 3" barrel. For the ranges a Python snubby would be best used at it probably makes no real practical difference.

I swapped out the factory stocks for service stocks and a Tyler T-grip as it better fits a snubby revolver. Since the new Pythons use a silver Colt medallion I used service stocks with a silver medallion.

Now my 2 1/2" Python has a modern mate.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I've had the service stocks for some time...don't remember from where I got them. Since it was just today I can't comment on firing it but I have fired the blued snubby...the T-Grips are an asset as they help fill the gap between the trigger guard and the stocks. With the big gap your knuckles can take a hit from the trigger guard and give better control with more to hold onto.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Snidely, how did you get your cylinder latch replaced so quickly. Did Colt send you the part?
Yes…they did. Piece of cake to swap. I checked the screws…they had threadlocker on them which I replaced with fresh when putting the screws back.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
A 6" Python .22 would be an awesome revolver...but it would also be a heavy monster! As great as such a premium revolver that would be, I'm wondering if something like the old Cobra .22 might be more useful and find a bigger market.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I guess that will depend if it's on the Python frame or the Cobra/King Cobra frame.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The Auction started at a penny…the bidders are setting the price. The seller is merely reaping the profits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts