Colt Forum banner
281 - 300 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I guess some folks really think that the 3in Python has fierce a MB and a fireball. I carry Gemini Customs in 454 this will make your glasses jump on the bridge of your nose!;) I guess it is all about what you get used to but yes most on this site I have noticed are sensitive to MB and recoil.
Not me, I enjoy muzzle blast (as long as it’s my own and not a guy two feet off to my left with a muzzle brake) and have no problem handling recoil from anything south of a 4-bore.

The 3’ Python certainly provides both blast and flash, that’s for sure. It’s a beautiful piece, that’s also for sure.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a picture somewhere (if I can find it I'll post it) of me firing (and that's literally) a friend's S&W 460
THAT was the mother of all muzzle flashes (MOAMF). Sometimes I'm tempted to buy one of those or a 500, but then realize my arthritic wrists can't take that kind of abuse anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How much different is the Python from the king Cobra? Both have a 3” barrel
I have only a 4.25-inch Python to compare against a 3-inch King Cobra, but those two are very different. The King Cobra is on a smaller frame and weighs 28 oz vs a reported 40 oz for a 3-inch Python or 42 oz for 4.25-inch. There is a big difference in feel, what that means depends on use and personal preference. For me, the Python is possible to conceal, the King Cobra is really easy to conceal. For range use, I prefer the larger/heavier revolver. For a trail gun, I (most days) prefer the smaller/lighter one. YMMV.

The 3-inch Python isn't on the California DOJ roster, only the 4.25 and 6-inch versions got on before the recent changes. So my wallet is safe from temptation.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Gotta agree with Salamander. Both will do the same job but each with a different feel. The King Cobra 3" does have fixed sights against the Python's adjustable sights...which is an advantage for a concealed carry gun as well as its smaller size.

Reactions: Bowhunter41

·
Registered
255 Posts
Check this holster out. De Santis leather Thumb Break Scabbard # 001TA33Z0. Colt Python 2-3”, S&W. L. 2 1/2-3”, Nice tight fit against the body. Best part, Made in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So what’s the go to holster for this thing?
Not specific to the 3” Python but…

Anything that will handle a 686 will handle the corresponding length Python, in my experience.

For Python-specific holsters, I have a custom Kramer AIWB on order and run a custom Simply Rugged, and a DeSantis, generally.

I’ve found the DeSantis Speed Scabbard specific to the Python 4” to work perfectly with the 4.25”, and it’s really good especially for the price. Great coverage of the rear sight and hammer with the “wings”, good retention, comfortable, and well made. If I had to pick only one, that might be it.

The Simply Rugged works well in IWB with PTD snaps (I ordered it with the appropriate holes for that option), and is also well made, can be used IWB, strong side, or cross-draw. It arrived in a custom configuration in less than a month, too. It also fully covers the hammer and rear sight as specified, and that one has a thumb snap.

The Desantis Second Six pouches are a really great way to carry speedloaders too- they practically disappear with a proper belt, and work well with both the Comp-II and the HKS-PY
loader models.

Sleeve Bag Everyday carry Eyewear Handgun holster

281 - 300 of 417 Posts