Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK -does anyone know FOR CERTAIN the 3 inch Python story---I thought that a blue 3 " "Combat" was Lew Horton and the nickel 3" was a Combat by Colt -------------now I've seen a 3 inch blue just marked as a Python and it had a raised seal Letter of Authenticity from Colt >??????What is going on ?????

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I would say that you could letter either of them from Colt as both barrels were originally from Colt.
The Combat marked 3 inch Blue being the one issued and sold thru Lew Horton & the standard 3 inch PYTHON marked tube as Sold from Colt directly.
Emjimb, I'm not 100% sure what you are questioning. Are you saying that the Colt letter on a COMBAT marked gun did not say it was sold thru Lew Horton ?

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Sounds like just a normal 3" Python with a letter to me. I think the succinct answer is that all Combats are 3" but not all 3" are Combats. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hey A1A, you're making me dizzy with that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

All M&Ms are Chocolates, but not all Chocolates are M&M's
That's confusing but correct.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Dfaris - not sure I understand your post. There are two 3" Pythons on GB - one marked "combat python", the other just "python". Are you questioning factory-original status of the "combat python"? Or do you mean to simply distinguish between a Lew Horton python versus other pythons?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
I'm distinguishing between 3" Pythons manufactured by Colt FOR distributors like Lew Horton, and 3" Pythons made as normal production guns by Colt.

The guns made for distributors are almost always marked with non-standard marks like "Combat Python" sometimes known as a "California Combat" Python.

Standard Colt Production 3" Pythons always seem to have standard, ordinary Python markings.

As is always the case with standard marked 3" Pythons, they should be suspect unless and until a factory letter positively identifies it as an original factory 3" gun.

As has been discussed here, when Colt ended production of the 3" guns, they sold the remaining standard marked barrels to Gun Parts, who sold them to the public.

Pythons that have been re-barreled with one of these 3" barrel, and are now being sold at premium collector's prices make all of them suspect until verified by the factory.

The presence of an "original factory labeled box" is NO guarantee, since counterfeit boxes and end labels are now becoming common.

So too, factory letters have also been counterfeited.
There was the infamous case some years ago on the West coast of a man who was selling Colt "Fitz" Detective Specials, complete with a factory letter.

When one buyer lost his letter and contacted Colt for a new one, Colt listed the gun as an ordinary DS. When the owner called Colt to find out "What the Hell" the jig was up and the counterfeiter went to the slammer for a few years.
These phony Fitz guns and letters still show up from time to time.

In the case of the Combat Python, that should be a safe buy since I doubt Colt ever allowed any of those barrels out of the factory, but any STANDARD marked model, with or without a factory letter is suspect until a check with the factory BY THE BUYER.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Thank you, Dfaris. That's what I thought you were saying but one never knows if what they thought they heard is what was said until the other person says it.

Did that help your dizziness, Jeff?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts