Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3\" Python

I have a 3" Python that I got several years ago. I don't have the box so I can't be sure if in fact it came from the factory with the 3" barrel. I have read that several of these were put together with after leaving the factory. I have never fired it and it doesn't look like it has been fired much if at all. My question is, is this gun worth too much to use as a shooter? I have a 3" S&W model 65 and had a 3" 686. I am very fond of this barrel length and have contemplated starting to use the Python. Is this a really dumb idea or should I just use it and enjoy it? I don't want to mess up a gun that may have some collector interest. Not being a collector, more of an accumulator of whatever is interesting, I usually don't spend much time worring about such things. Is it sinful to shoot and carry the gun? Thanks for any input.
amvet

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: 3\" Python

Amvet; just my opinion,but as you said, 3" Pythons are RARE,but we also know,again as you said,that some 3" bbls. were sold separately(I can recall when Gun Parts/Numrich had them advertised).

So,even though,it will cost you $100 or so, I would send for a Colt letter to see if the gun was original a FACTORY 3 incher. If it is,then the letter will pay for itself,and more, when its time to sell it to a collector. If it is not,shoot it and enjoy!!

Best of luck.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Watch out for the fakes. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I had a 3" Python that I would have put through the melting pot but I had to get my $800 out of it. Get it lettered and if it does letter, sell it to me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and buy yourself a shooter.

·
Registered
991 Posts

If it is authentic, "collector interest" would be an understatement.

Addicted said straight up he don't like the Python's and sold the ones he had (I'll find the post...sorry dude /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif).

I'm sure you'd rather sell it to me, a true to the heart Python collector!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Addicted said straight up he don't like the Python's and sold the ones he had (I'll find the post...sorry dude /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif).

[/ QUOTE ]

What I should have said was "The 3" Python is the only Python that has my interest." A true Python lover would get greater satisfaction therefore I will bow out. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Guess I'll get a letter from Colt and see if the gun came from the factory with the 3" barrel. To be honest I almost wish it was a fake. It is such a nice looking, well handling gun that it begs to be used. Of course if I find out it is worth a ton of money I'll probably change my tune.
amvet

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I just looked on GunsAmerica and there is a NIB 3" Combat Python for sale. They want $1799 for it! I had no idea these things commanded that much. I sent for a factory letter on mine. It does not have the box and it is just a 3" Python and not the "Combat" so it probably is worth alot less if in fact it came from the factory with the short barrel. I guess I'll have to rethink throwing under the seat of my car. (only kidding)
amvet

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I just looked on GunsAmerica and there is a NIB 3" Combat Python for sale. They want $1799 for it! I had no idea these things commanded that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the typical asking price that I've seen at the Tulsa gun show. I don't know that they're selling for that as they seldom come up for sale. If I were purchasing, I'd only do so if the seller could present a Colt letter. Or work out a deal that the gun comes back if the gun does not letter with full refund.

If your gun does letter, you have yourself a gem.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts

"so it probably is worth alot less"

That's wrong.
Likely the "Combat Python" as made for a distributor is worth more, but ANY genuine 3" Python is a gold mine these days.

The factory production 3" Python was a low production model, so if original, yours is worth????? High dollars.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
That's wrong.
Likely the "Combat Python" as made for a distributor is worth more, but ANY genuine 3" Python is a gold mine these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The factory production 3" Python was a low production model, so if original, yours is worth????? High dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

dfaris, Please explain. Combat Python = "a gold mine". "Factory production = low production = High Dollars"

Which is more sought after (other than both)?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

If I recall correctly(IIRC) Massad Ayoob wrote an article probably 20 years ago or more for a gun rag,explaining why Colt built "a few Pythons" with the 3" bbl.

Seems that in the "snub" category in either PPC,but probably some type of police revolver competion,the 2.5 " Pythons were winning most matches,so the competition directors raised the minimum length to the 3". S&Ws(M-13's and M-65's) were probably the favorites as they were more affordable.

So,Colt produced a few Pyhtons with the 3" bbl. to comply with the new rules.But since semi autos were quickly replacing revolvers in many P.D.s,the need for these 3" Pythons evaporated.At least this what I can recall reading those so many years ago!

Less than 20 years ago,I nearly bought a mint(no box) 3" Python,but the price was $450 then,or about a $100 more than the other bbl. lengths,so I passed it up! In all reality,the gun was to be a carry gun/shooter,and wouldn't have stayed "mint" for too long. Was growing tired of the lousy D.A.on my stainless Ruger Service Six with a very rare 2.75" bbl. For what a Ruger "fanatic",I gave me for it,I was able to buy a factory lettered 4" pre M-24 S&W,that served as my carry gun for a few years. Besides,I like the bigger bores.

Saw a Combat Python,at Lew Horton's store in Mass. when they were first made for him. He has(or had) MANY "limited runs" made for him by BOTH Colt & S&W,and a trip to his store,despite the over 2 hr. drive, was always enlightening,but frustrating due to the (then) prices. Shouldve taken a bank loan out and bought some of these limited editions; they sure would have increased in price a helluva lot faster than my "retirement portfolio",IF I could have just stuck 'em in my safe and NOT shot them!

Bud

BTW:

S&W had to do the same thing on their 8.3/4" bbl. Registered Magnums in the late 30's due to the sight radius being too long,so they made 8 3/8" the longest length,that would still comply with the sight radius rules in bullseye revolver shooting. Change the gun(s) to fit the rule changes!!

·
Registered
991 Posts

GunsAmerica are not auctions, so I see no problem with posting the ad:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976647390.htm

dfariswheel, please straighten me out if the following is wrong:

This looks like it might be a real 3 inch Combat, but the guy has the year all wrong. The 3 inch was manufactured in 1983 if I'm not mistaken. The Combat model might have been a different year, but it certainly was not 1976. The serial number and box type both indicate this. If you look closely, the blurred box looks as if it does read "3 inch", but I'd still be leary of someone who describes himself as a Colt Collector and member of the Association, but doesn't have the facts right.

With the knowledge that there were Pythons modified to 3 inch with aftermarket barrels, my question would be: were any of these aftermarket barrels known to be stamped with "Combat"? In short, do we need to be leary of a 3 inch Python that is stamped "Combat"?

Also, I've seen "T" series standard production Pythons. Would the "special run" particular to this distributor have had a specific serial number range?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts