Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: 3\" Pythons

There were, of course, three inch Pythons made by Colt and termed variously Combat Pythons, and, grotesquely enough, California Combat Pythons. I lucked out with a pair of them in between 88 and early 90's and I sure agree that it's a perfect barrel length for the Python.

I wish I knew what the applicable serial number range was, but I've not taken the time to research it. Be aware that a fair number of 3 inch barrels were sold as overruns, I suppose. Based on nothing other than long term interest and observation, there are clearly cobbled up three-inchers out there. Foolishly secure in my pair, I've passed up several opportunities to buy Pythons with a spare barrel, one of which being a three inch either mounted or as a spare.

With hindsight being so accute, I surely wished I'd sprung for them since I like the barrel and don't really care about the collectibility.

------------------
"And the blithe revolver began to sing/ To the blade that twanged on the locking-ring..."

·
Registered
535 Posts

Oh, Boy! I'd like a 3" Python, too! Never had one - never saw one - never shot one - but I have shot the 2 1/2 and the 4" a good bit and I'd spend a $1,000 for a 3" Python. Of course, they probably cost $3,000! In fact, of late, I've become fond of 5" and 3" revolvers. If you rummage Brand X guns, you'll see several 5" ers and 3 " ers in the last ten to twenty years. Of course, Colt doesn't participate. Come to think of it, how about the 4 5/8 and 5 1/2 SAA's and the 5" standard gov't model? Maybe we ought to take note for our 2X revolvers?

·
Registered
44 Posts
3\" Pythons

Are the occasional 3" Pythons I see factory models and if so how many were made. Just saw a refinished one on GA for about $1700! YIKES! But let me tell you, that was the perfect bbl length for that gun ! ! !

I want one ! ! !

Now, if I could just afford it . . .

·
Registered
991 Posts

I'm hoping some of our resident experts will chime in here, because I have wondered about this also. I thought the 3" Pythons were made in a short run around 1980-83. However, I remember seeing a 3" advertised on GB a while back as manufactured in 1962. I do know for a fact that Colt ordered a lot of 3" barrels at one time and there are 3" Pythons out there which are not factory original. If I was buying a 3" Python, I would call Colt and check the serial number to see if it is original. Of course, that would be from a collector viewpoint.

By the way, I've seen the one you mentioned for $1700.00 and that price is outrageuos.

[This message has been edited by manderson (edited 05-19-2004).]

[This message has been edited by manderson (edited 05-19-2004).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts

Unless it was a Custom Shop item built for a single customer, or a non-factory custom job, there were no 3" Pythons made in the 60's.

As I recall, the first 3" Pythons were a limited run of blued guns made for distributor Lew Horton, and called "The California Combat" model.

Shortly after, Colt introduced their own model, simply advertised as a 3" Python, no special name or model.

Soon after Colt began making stainless steel Pythons, they offered a 3" stainless for a short time.

Again, as far as Colt was concerned, the 3" Python was simply an addition to the standard line of Pythons, and had no separate model name for them.

As above, a fair number of 3" blued and possibly some stainless barrels were sold through outlets like Gun Parts, and probably direct from Colt.

A good number of re-barreled "original 3" Pythons" are now floating around, and probably more to come.
The problem here, other than the non-originality, is that many of these weren't fitted by qualified pistolsmiths.

I've seen at least one that was obviously "fitted" by a real amateur.
The barrel/cylinder gap was cut with a file, and was very uneven, the forcing cone had not been re-cut at all, and the front sight was slightly past top-dead-center.

The owner complained that it wouldn't shoot well, spit lead, and his rear sight had to be cranked WAY over to get it on target.

Needless to say, he wasn't pleased to learn that he had been scammed.

Buyer beware.

·
Registered
70 Posts

I have one from the late '80's it is marked "Combat Python" Colt had them on display at the SHOT Show that year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts