Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a sizable collection of 3" S&W revolvers but sold them off about 10 years ago. Sure wish I had a few of them back as I've always liked the balance and double action trigger pull of those models. I bought this 3" 66-2 the other day at a LGS. I believe it's one of the early run of 3" model 66-2's for Ashland Arms. Sweet carry revolver...

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Ya can't beat an S&W 3" for both balance and concealability...

A circa 1982 (-3) and Factory Nickel Plated.

Gun Specifications
Type:Revolver - manufactured from 1974 ~ 1998
Produced:1982 ( -3 Eliminate Cylinder Counterbore )
Caliber:.357 S&W Magnum
Action:Revolving Chamber
Trigger:DA/SA
Barrel:3" Bull ( Heavy )
Capacity:6 Rounds
Frame:Factory Nickel Plated
Grip:Pachmayr Rubber
Sights:Serrated Ramp (front) / Fixed Notch (rear)

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
So many awesome guns made for Horton. Hard to believe they fell by the wayside.
Vic

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I found that in a California gunshop about 25 years ago. Right after I bought it I spotted another down the road in another gun shop and have never seen another since! The front sight lost it`s glow long ago. I suppose I could send the blade back in to get recharged? I use to live working on graveyard but now am retired so haven't bothered. The gun "feels" just right. Here it is again alongside my Python. Close competition!

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on that Lew Horton 66-3. It's been on my "want to buy" list for many years now. One of these days I'll find one. Beautiful gun....

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,740 Posts
A wise purchase no matter the price.
The front sight has been replaced but no matter.

One of the smart things I did was in the late 80's I bought a S&W Model 66-3 with the 3 inch barrel from Ashland Shooter's Supply.
This just might be the ultimate CCW revolver.
It offers less muzzle blast then the 2 1/2 inch dash 2 I have and full length extraction, but conceals better then the 4 inch versions.

An old homicide cop I knew called guns like this "water pistols".
That was because according to him when the bad guys saw it pointed at them their insides turned to water.

I replaced the red front sight inserts on both guns, put a shallow oval shaped hole in the inserts and filled them with Gloss White paint.
From the rear the oval dot looks like a round dot.
I painted a bar below the rear sight notch and I have a Von Stavenhagen type dot-bar sight picture that works better then the usual three dot set up.

S&W Model 66.jpg

Model 66 Front Sight.jpg

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
On mine just the front blade has the triljon treatment, the rear sight blade is just black, not white outlined nor the two triljon dots. As I have many other guns, I haven't fired this one much and when I do pack trail riding etc I have been packing cheaper but fine guns. It does feel about the best I have in the hand. It was slightly used when I bought it so I dont have the original box. It did come with the Lew Horton print out. Thought I had it on my computer to show but cant find it. The other only one I seen had the same grips but had ivory diamond inserts on each side. The paper describing the gun says they have uncle mike grips?? To me, the gun is perfectly designed. I know some people might not be big on ported guns.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
66-2 is a good balance of power & handling/concealability.
The 2.25" is a little raucous with .357s, but is real easy with .38 specials.
It is basic, but I smoothed up the action and put some nice wood on it.
Fu Da Munny......I couldn't resist. One of the guys on my engine company wanted to be done with it. I gave him the fair blue book plus $25 at the time: $275. ( I guess that was a few editions ago......)

Why do some of my images twist around all cockeyed? Both images shot the same way, same time, cropped the same.....one uploads right, the other does goofy.
Not my fault. I didn't do it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Subtract one and you get one of the first revolvers I ever purchased, a model 65. Agree that three-inch is a great size, I've got a handful in that stature. Seen here with a Ruger Speed-Six, which I am also fond of. No offense, but I've just always preferred low-profile sights, especially for carry.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Smith & Wesson seems to have made odd marketing decisions at times. The 3" Model 13 and its stainless counterpart, the 3" Model 65 are very popular and in high demand. They made a shrouded 3" barrel for the Ladysmith model, so why didn't they also offer it for the Models 13 & 65 ? The 3" Model 66 and Model 19 should have been regular options instead of special, limited runs.
Just like the 5" barrels on N frames and K frames. People just love the special order or cut down Model 29's and Model 25-2's and the K-38's with a 5" barrel. I'll bet a K-22 would be sweet in a 5" as well.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
We all want something different and hard to get. I have the hots for a 3" Python although I own a 2 1/2" and a 4" that never gets used.
I own 5" Smiths in models 27-2, 29-2, 544, and a cobbled together model 21 .44 special.
Come to think of it no one owns a 5" Python. Now I want one!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,740 Posts
Writer and expert Leroy Thompson has written a good bit about the S&W "K" frame 2 1/2 and 3 inch models and he considers them to be about the perfect CCW revolver.
He once wrote that "The S&W 2 1/2 inch Model 66 has a particularly bellicose appearance that makes bad guys fully understand that they're going to get much more then just hurt".

Of the small and medium framed short barrel revolvers these are the best I've ever found.
True, the Colt Detective Special is THE classic, and the Ruger SP-101 is great, but the S&W "K" frames offer what I think is the perfect blend of size, control-ability, power, and "shootability".
If I ever start regularly carrying one of mine, I'm going to buy some Buffalo Bore .38 Special +P LSWHP ammo for it.
These are loaded to the original +P hot levels back before the cartridge companies began downloading it, and are easier to shoot then full-on Magnum loads.
Considering the lack of new barrels, I worry that using the .357 125 grain jacketed hollow points could damage the forcing cones.

One thing is, when I carry one of these S&W Combat Magnum Model 66's I never doubt that I'm about as well armed as you can be.
Jeff Cooper once said that a defense gun should be "Comforting, not necessarily comfortable".
I feel VERY comforted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts