Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$300 for a 6\" Trooper

A guy has a 6" Trooper for sale for $300. It has very slight wear near the muzzle and a a 1/4 inch scratch on the left side of the barrel, near the front of the shroud. Is it worth it? The action is the smoothist that I've ever seen in a Trooper.

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 12-07-2003).]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: $300 for a 6\" Trooper

Ask yourself, "What other gun could I buy for $300.00 that feels as good or shoots as sweetly?"

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Most Troopers go for much more, IMHO.

BUY IT!

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I've got a 38 year old 4" Python and a Magnum Carry. I very seldom shoot either. Why do I need a 6" Trooper? CCW....I don't think so. I've got to think this one over,

John

·
Registered
535 Posts

JCM - Hi! I guess this must be a Trooper Mk III? (I don't think they made the original Trooper in 6", did they?) If so, I know those guns to be extremely accurate and very durable. I'd go so far as to say, IMO, they are THE MOST accurate and durable of any 2X revolver. They were deliberately designed to replace the older Python-type, leaf spring action and hold their time. (So it's been explained to me.) I know the Pennsylvania State Police carried them for a long time - in 6", too. They got them after many years of the .45 New Service. I know, too, the best shot in my police academy class in Allentown, Pa. shot one. (1972?) I'd bet a cold hot dog and a warm beer you could shoot better bullseye with it than the 4" Python. I've never owned one because I always found the grip and trigger reach to be a bit too much for me. I think the E/I frame Colts are just a tad smaller. If you want a better target/magnum, there you go. CCW - not hardly, unless you're can wear Rosie Greer's sportcoat and Bill Jordan's gloves!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts

Either the old Model Trooper or a Mark III or Mark V is a good buy in that condition/price.

Colt did sell plenty of 6" old Model Troopers.

BUY A GUN, You'll like it, Hillery and Schumer will HATE it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I decided to buy it. I called the dealer and he's got it set aside for me. Unfortunately, it can't be released until 12/27 because he bought it as a used gun,

John

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I picked up the Trooper today. Upon closer examination, I can see that it has been fired, but very little. The only time that the scratch on the barrel can be seen is under strong light. What I thought was wear at the muzzle is not there now. Maybe it was strange light at the store. The action, both SA & DA, is almost unbelievable. It rivals my 38 year old Python.

Now I have to find time to shoot it,

John

·
Registered
535 Posts

JCM298A, OK. Happy for you - now, is it an original model or a Mark? If it's the older kind, how 'bout a picture? I've never seen one in 6"? Please?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I finally got to take the Trooper out to shoot yesterday. The first three rounds were in the "X" ring of a 15 yard NRA target. The last two were in the 10 ring.

After that, it was a repeat of the first five rounds. The first 25 rounds were in the "X" or 10 ring. All shoots were single action. I think that this one will outshoot my Python.

I did have a problem: It would only fire every other round when I tried it DA. The primers showed very light strikes. The "pencil test" indicated a weak or shortened main spring.

Today, I took it back to the store and the `smith had another spring in stock. It now is working at 100%. The original spring did not look like it had been cut or modified. The interior parts showed no indication that anybody had "messed" with it.

I hope I'll be able to try it again next week.

By the way, the serial number is:

J12345

Normally, I would not post the entire number but this is unique, at least to me.

rcwambold:

It is a Mark III. I have a digital camera but I can't figure out how to post a photo. If you want, I'll e-mail one to you.

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 01-03-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

JCM

Your Trooper was made in 1970.

To post your pics, you have to sign up with a "host" such as fototime.com or hunt101.com to upload your pictures to, then the forum will retrieve them and post them via that pictures code.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts