Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just aquired this 6" Official Police, caliber .32-20 and am wondering if someone could tell me when it was made and maybe what it's value might be? The serial number is 5202xx.

Thanks Much!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Butch,picked up a nearly identical gun condition wise,6" bbl, etc. for $235,about 6 months ago.

Your gun was made in 1925-26,at least the frame was,and is a transition gun between the identical(except for markings,couple of sight details),Army Special Model,which was made from 1908-26. The 32/20 caliber was dropped from the Official Police,in 1941.

The "rarer caliber", other than .38 Special,is in the guns favor,as far as value. The original box,papers would probably bring the gun into the $400 range.

Hope this helps. Bud

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bud!

A transition gun huh? Like an Army special frame with the 'new' Official Police barrel.

I guess that would explain the difference in the rear sight and top strap from my 1960's vintage (and well used ex-police) .38 Official Police?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You got it right ,Butch! Thats the old style frame with the narrow sights,and an another good "recognition feature",which your excellent side by sides show graphically between the post 1945 Official Police and the pre 1945 32/20 are the checkered cylinder latch and hammer on the 32/20 versus the smooth latch and grooved hammer on the post war Off. Police.

No doubt saved Colt some $$ in production,but another reason why pre wars will tend to be more expensive.

Thanks for sharing. Bud

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I wonder. Will that gun shoot .32 H&R Magnums? I wouldn't see why not as the pressure of that round is right below a regular .38 special and the gun has a sturdy enough frame. If my little J Frame .431 PD can handle it I'd imagine an OP would

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug.38PR:
I wonder. Will that gun shoot .32 H&R Magnums? I wouldn't see why not as the pressure of that round is right below a regular .38 special and the gun has a sturdy enough frame. If my little J Frame .431 PD can handle it I'd imagine an OP would<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not a good idea. Although it will probably chamber and go 'bang', the rim thickness is .010" less....055" vs .065", so you already have a headspace problem. The straight walled 32 mag case is smaller in diameter than the tapered and shouldered 32-20 case, so bulging and possibly splitting of the brass may occur. Although the OP is a strong revolver, keep in mind the pressure differences for these two cartridges. The Saammi specs are 16,000 cup for the 32-20, and 21,000 cup for the 32 mag. The 38 spec is 17,000 with the +P jumping to 18,500.

[This message has been edited by ohiobuckeye (edited 07-20-2005).]

·
Registered
936 Posts
Back in my police officer days, I saw several .32-20 revolvers that had had .32 S&W Long cartridges fired in them. The cases were all extremely bulged and some were split as well.

These two cartridges are not interchangable. Also, beware of old .32-20 rounds that are intended for rifles ONLY. These could damage a revolver.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Speaking of Hi-vel .32-20 ammo, I was told once that Colt's did a special heat treat on their later cylinders after some of this rifle only ammo found its way into their revolvers and tied them up (or worse).

Has anyone else heard about this, or is it just a tall tale?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
.32 HR is more powerful than .38+P!!! That's not what the boxes say. I don't have the figures in front of me but the .32 H&R Mag was right below the REGULAR .38 special in muzzel energy and a just above it slightly in muzzel velocity.

But that's interesting about the differences in those older .32 caliber rounds. I shoot all kinds of .32 rounds in my .431 PD all the time. .32 Mag, .32 short, .32 Long, and even .32 ACP. Those .32 acp's almost feel like shooting .22s or even BBs

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug.38PR:
.32 HR is more powerful than .38+P!!! That's not what the boxes say. I don't have the figures in front of me but the .32 H&R Mag was right below the REGULAR .38 special in muzzel energy and a just above it slightly in muzzel velocity.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're comparing apples and oranges. The figures I gave were for pressure only. Using pressure as the only standard, the 22lr would be top dog of nearly all pistol cartridges at 25,000psi. Bullet weight, velocity, pressure, case capacity, powder burn rate, and other factors will determine ft/lbs of energy, or "power". Factory 45-70 checks in at around 21,000psi, and I doubt anyone would consider the 22lr more powerful than the 45-70.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts