Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would have the 32-20 calibre police positive ever been used by a US police department ? Or is the calibre only for civilian use ?
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
There's been thousands of police departments over the years...it would be difficult to show that somewhere a police agency didn't issue any particular caliber or allowed an officer to carry a personally owned sidearm in any caliber.

Lots of private security companies issue firearms...any of them could have at some time as well.

Reactions: chrometank

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
The 32-20 WCF was quite popular once upon a time, so its entirely possible that some PD, somewhere in the US, used them considering the first choice for a police revolver was the .32 S & W / .32 N. P.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have in my possession a late model New Army in 32-20, 6". Looks nice and shoots very well. When I got the gun some years back I was told that it had been the personal side arm of a town marshal and the county Sheriff when he was elected. I never was able to verify any of that . Supposedly it was in one of the rail road/cow towns in Northern Montana along the Hiline. Just a story, that's all.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Certainly possible that the caliber was used by police, but keep in mind that it would have to have been in a Police Positive Special or one of the larger framed revolvers; the cylinder of a Police Positive is too short in length to chamber the .32-20.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers thanks for all the replys, yes up196 i forgot to put special in there !
I just got this at an auction here in Oz and have ordered a letter from colt, i am hopeful it comes back as being owned by one of your famed police departments. It was made in 1923
Cheers 0701-AAA-170816-575-300x205.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Please don't take offense, I have numerous 32-20's which I truly love. But a true story: some years ago the son of a deceased Texas lawmen told his son that the 32-20 SA that he had carried was the most useful gun he ever had; he went on to say that while it wasn't as powerful as the other CF cartridges, its smaller bore diameter made it heavier which made it more effective (weight wise) for hitting aggressors on the side of the head. Regards, Ron

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes. It seemed that railroad police liked them. I have a Police Positive Special in .32-20 from the Union Pacific RR. Officers were often required to buy their own guns in i many places. I have a S&W M&P in .32 WCF from 1917 that letters to a mail order store that is hand marked for Dodge City KS PD.

Best,
Charles

·
Administrator
7,290 Posts
Good luck with the letter .

Regardless , the shorter barrel is more uncommon and a good find .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts