Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored my Colt holy grail today in the form of a Police Positive in .32 Colt New Police (.32 S&W Long). I have a Police Positive Special first issue in .38 special, but have been looking for a .32 for about 4 years. They never turn up. I ran into this beauty at my local dealer today! It is a Police Positive First Issue with the last patent date on the barrel being July 4, 1905. Serial # is 223xxx, dating her to 1926 according to proofhouse.com. Barrel length is 4". I don't think this gun has ever been fired. It has only a light turn line and a slight handling blemish on the sideplate. Price was an unbelievable $200 OTD! Good deal huh? They just don't make 'em like this anymore, and they ain't makin' anymore! Here's a pick! Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Looks like the gun was made before the switch to the stippled frame top,and probably has the smooth trigger.

Gun has the "small" or .32 frame,with smaller stocks,front to back. Even the early Police Positive Specials,up to about 1925 had the smaller frame,making them not user friendly in .38 Special.

Stocks made the switch from hard rubber to wood for the Police Positives,somewhere around 1923,so these small woode stocks are scarce,being only made for 5 or 6 years,before the switch to the larger size,that will fit square butt D frames,until they went to the short grip frame.

Bud

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far!
Bushwacker & Lonewolf,
You are correct. The gun does have a smooth topstrap and a smooth trigger.

Lonewolf,
I did not know that the stocks were scarce. Thanks for the info! It's a good thing I checked them upon getting the gun home. They were overtightened and would have cracked upon firing. They were also very dry and needed a couple of coats of raw linseed oil.
BTW,
[ QUOTE ]
Even the early Police Positive Specials,up to about 1925 had the smaller frame,making them not user friendly in .38 Special.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a Police Positive Special (PPS) First Issue in .38 Special made in 1923. It has a longer cylinder and cylinder window to accomodate the .38 special. The PPS was used for the longer.38 special and .32/20 rounds, while the Police Positive (PP) was used for .22, .32 and .38 New Police (.38 S&W). When the PP was discontinued, its calibers were merged into the PPS line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts