Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to clean it but I picked this up today for $190. I am wondering what ammunition to use since .32 Long Colt no longer exists commercially. I also know the .32 S&W long is the same cartridge but what would be a safe bullet to use?

If you know of any history on it or how I can find the exact age I would love to hear it, the serial is 219xxx

·
Registered
34 Posts
32 long colt and 32 S&W long are not the same cartridge in that the 32 long colt is a little smaller in terms of diameter and has a larger heal. 32s&w long or short should work. I once a 32 s&w long police positive made in1907 and a Colt rep informed me it would be safer to fire 32s&w short in old guns due to the lower pressures. If the bore looks a little rough you might want to have someone check it out before firing it.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
The gun pictured is late enough (wood stock era) that it would not be chambered for the old .32 Long Colt. The .32 Colt Police cartridge has the same dimensions as the .32 S&W Long, but has a flat-nosed bullet instead of a round-nose bullet. Both the Smith & Wesson Long and Short are very low-powered cartridges so either is safe in the gun pictured.

I know some shoot .32ACP in these guns, but I have never tried it. Perhaps someone here has experience doing so and can comment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gun pictured is late enough (wood stock era) that it would not be chambered for the old .32 Long Colt. The .32 Colt Police cartridge has the same dimensions as the .32 S&W Long, but has a flat-nosed bullet instead of a round-nose bullet. Both the Smith & Wesson Long and Short are very low-powered cartridges so either is safe in the gun pictured.

I know some shoot .32ACP in these guns, but I have never tried it. Perhaps someone here has experience doing so and can comment.
What would you suggest I use to reload? Do you think jacketed bullets would be okay?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The markings will usually be on the backstrap or the butt.... You can also check under the grips.

Charles

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Get some bronze wool and something like CLP breakfree or G96 and use it on your gun. It should smooth out and/or remove some of the rough spots and not hurt the remaining finish. You can get bronze wool from Brownells. Nice looking shooter ya got there. I'd stick with lead bullets for reloading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts