Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about yet another DOM request. Trying to fugure it out. Serial 201XXX Proofhouse doesn't show anything that high. What am I missing? Below the serial is an h. I'm assuming an inspector?
Gun has been polished to within an inch of it's life and nickeled. It also sports what appear to be imitation ivory stocks. A New Orleans Pimp would be proud to carry this little gun.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Sure it's a Pocket Positive? That serial would land around 1924 for a .32 Police Positive. Could be a Pocket barrel on a Police frame. The gripstrap on the Pocket is distinctive with a more rounded shape than the Police. A pic would solve the puzzle.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
That was my first thought too, that it could be a Pocket barrel on a Police.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose anything is possible with this gun. I did a side by side with my police positive .32 and the grip frame while close in shape is substantially smaller. It's cylinder is also MUCH smaller. Hammers and cylinder latches are identical. The top of the frame on my Police has lateral glare reducing lines while the pocket is smooth. I'm going to look through some of my reference material to See if I can find a pic of a pocket. Frankly I'd never considered the possibility of a barrel being switched. It does of course have a Pocket barrel on it.
Sorry I don't own a digicam yet so I can't post a pic.
If I can find a pic in one of my references I'll post an update. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Interesting gun! The Pocket Positives did have a smaller cylinder,and I would guess,"frame window"; Kuhnhausen mentions this in his Colt Revolver Shop Manual.

Problem is,that the Pocket Positive only reached the 159,000 serial numbers in its last year of production;1940!

Strange?

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update!
Whatever this gun is, it isn't a pocket positive. Found several photos in my reference material(including the Kuhnhausen manual). My best guess is a modified police positive.32, though why it's wearing a pocket positive barrel I have no idea.
History is as follows. I bought it several years ago from the widow of the previous owner who didn't want it. I very much doubt that she knew what it was, she just didn't want it after her husband died. She died a few years later. I bought it thinking it was a pocket positive fired it a very few times and it dissappeared into the back of my safe, where it resided in obscurity until I brought it out a few days ago to try and learn a bit more about it.
It has the small(tiny) cylinder approximately 1 1/4 inches in diameter, standard PP frame window, square grip frame, and as stated previously has been heavily polished and nickel plated. I can find no marks whatsoever anywhere on the frame other than the serial 201XXX and a lowercase h below the serial.
Your thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts