Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one and only Colt Police Positive is a 1st issue in .38 Special. I want to expand my collection of Police Positive so I am looking at the available revolvers for sale. There are Colt Police Positive revolvers marked 32 Police CTG. What is the actual cartridge for the 32 Police CTG? Is this .32 S&W Long or .32 Long Colt?
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. So a revolver marked 32 Police CTG = .32 S&W Long. Thanks.
How about those revolvers marked .32 Colt NP CTG?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The factory .32 New Police cartridge is the same as the factory .32 S&W Long cartridge, only loaded with a flat-nosed bullet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, the same cartridge as the .32 S&W Long (RNL), but with a flat-nosed lead bullet. Colt didn't want to roll mark their products with the name of a competitor, hence the .32 New Police name.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Colts New Police cartridges came with flat nose, Smith and Wessons were round nose. This applies to both 32 caliber and 38 caliber. So a Colt marked 32 Colt New Police would be able to fire ammo marked "32 Colt New Police", "32 Smith & Wesson Long", and also "32 Smith & Wesson Short" will chamber and shoot. Please note that ammo marked "32 Long Colt" or "32 Short Colt" is NOT suitable as those rounds use a heeled bullet. I have a box of Remingtons Marked on the side of the box "32 S&W Long (32 Colt New Police)" that I shoot in my Pocket Positive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To confuse the Colt .32 revolver cartridges issue just a tad more, Colt revolvers roll-marked ".32 Police Ctg." which are chambered for the .32 S&W Long (the older/shorter .32 S&W can also be fired safely in these revolvers) and .32 Colt New Police cartridges, can also use the cartridges sometimes called ".32 Police Positive" which are the same cartridge as the .32 New Police cartridge. However, the older and now considered obsolete .32 Short Colt and .32 Long Colt cartridges have a smaller diameter case, and were/are for the earlier Colt New Pocket and Colt New Police revolvers so marked. Marlin's 1892 lever action .32 caliber rifles could be had chambered for those earlier .32 Colt cartridges and the .32 rim fire cartridges in the same rife, with a change of the firing pin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts