Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newby to the forum. I was hoping someone on the forum might have some info on this .32 PPS I picked up at auction a little while back. I am mostly a S&W guy so I don't have any research material on Colts. The serial number is 42390 and is stamped Police Positive Special - .32 NP on left side of the barrel and Colts PT.F.A. MFG.CO.Hartsford, Conn USA on the right. Blue Book says that serial number gun should have a patent date on top of the barrel but there is nothing on the top. I contacted Sam Lisker at Coltautos.com and he thinks it is post WWII and to see if anyone on y'alls forum might have some knowledge/info. The serial number listing on Sam's site has 49500 as the lowest number. I am attaching a couple of photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Looks like a police positive special from the 60’s. Here is one I had for comparison. But I can’t tell for sure from your pics

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
The only PPS that shows up with that serial number is one dated 1911.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
After looking at it again, it is definitely a post-war gun. The early PP and PPS had a shorter frame between the trigger guard and the grip. The OP may have left a digit off the SN#.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only PPS that shows up with that serial number is one dated 1911.
After looking at it again, it is definitely a post-war gun. The early PP and PPS had a shorter frame between the trigger guard and the grip. The OP may have left a digit off the SN#.
Attaching a pic of only serial number I could find. Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the inputs. I still don't understand the 5 digit serial number. The sites I visited to look up colt serial numbers indicate this gun was made in 1911. I was pretty sure it wasn't that old so I was hoping someone could shed some light on when it was really made.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
It has a "LW" under the serial number digits...that means it's a lightweight with an aluminum frame and the "LW" is part of the serial number. It comes back to a 1955 build date...it could be a Lightweight Police Positive Special which is kinda rare or more likely a re-barreled Cobra. It has the long frame so it's before the mid-'60s.

JPP...stick a magnet to the frame and see if it sticks. If not...it's an aluminum frame.

Only an archives letter will tell how it left Hartford.

Reactions: Maxcustody

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think it may be a Cobra with the barrel and cylinder replaced to make it a .32. However, it could have been a .32 that had a damaged barrel, but .32 is scarce for a Cobra.

Reactions: Maxcustody

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
I think it may be a Cobra with the barrel and cylinder replaced to make it a .32. However, it could have been a .32 that had a damaged barrel, but .32 is scarce for a Cobra.
They may be scarce but not unknown...here's my NIB Cobra .32 3" barrel...

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
For JPP...do the numbers and letters on the inside of the crane match the numbers on the inside of the frame?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has a "LW" under the serial number digits...that means it's a lightweight with an aluminum frame and the "LW" is part of the serial number. It comes back to a 1955 build date...it could be a Lightweight Police Positive Special which is kinda rare or more likely a re-barreled Cobra. It has the long frame so it's before the mid-'60s.

JPP...stick a magnet to the frame and see if it sticks. If not...it's an aluminum frame.

Only an archives letter will tell how it left Hartford.
Frame is aluminum. The crane has matching serial number with the frame but without the LW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts