Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im new to this forum and have a question for you. My grandpaw came into work today telling me ab this set of colt revolvers that his cousin gave him. They are a matching set, ones a 357mag and the other is a 22 long. they are still in a wooden box and the guns have never been shot. He was told the guns were a gift u got from a bank in texas for some kind of big transaction. Never got to really check them out yet but have done some searching and have come up with nothing about them. I thought this forum would be off some help before he goes and shoots them. What would there be worth shot and unshot?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Sounds like Grandpaw got a nice set.
We're gonna need more info though.
What are the guns marked ? If you can't tell us that, can you show us a picture of Grandpaw's guns ?

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Hey, maybe when I get older I can change my handle to GunPawKwazy.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just taking a wide stab at it for the sake of flapping my gums I would say it was a pair of Troopers of some sort in a presentation case.

·
Registered
794 Posts
seanak198, I may be misunderstanding you. Are you saying you have " a matching set, ones a 357mag and the other is a 22 long." and " its a set oh pythons with the tags still on them ."

Because if I understand you correctly than your 22 Python came from the same collection as the guy with the 8 3/4" Python!

Without being to flippant, there just ain't no such animal.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 08-25-2004).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
look i am just telling you what i saw. both guns are exaclty the same size and legnth just chambered different. and there is a 22 long python bc it was in my hand today. i dont know much ab pistols so i wont argue with you guys but i am just telling you what they said. the guns are probly over 20yrs old from looking at the papers in the case. i would guess the barrels are atleast 6 iches long. i hope the guy at thee gun shop knows something ab them tomorrow.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think I remember an ad for this set; the .357 is a Python, and the .22 long rifle is a Diamondback. Very nice - be good to grandpaw.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
I also seem to remember these sets.
It's a cased 6" blued Python, and a 6" blued .22 Diamondback.

For value, new, older Pythons are going in the $900.00 AND UP range, and new .22 6" Diamondbacks are going for nearly the same.

For a matched set, (possible with matching or special serial numbers) new in the case, you'd better tell your grandpa to give his cousin a HUGE sloppy wet kiss because he just gave him a nice couple of grand.

What YOU need to do, is start really sucking up to your grandpa.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 08-25-2004).]

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Majic:
The Python was never chambered in .22lr.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless memory fails me, a few experimental Pythons were made in 22LR, and the 256 Hawkeye chambering, but they never made it into production. Any survivors are probably museum pieces, or in a Colt executive's collection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the replys. i told the old grandpaw i'd give him 5 bones and he said that he would have to see what they worth first. but i dont think he wants to go shoot it anymore more now that he thinks they have some value. i will try to get a few pics for yall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts