Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my new to me 1976 Python to the range. The .357 ammo would only hold four shells. Then the other two would not fit in the two other holes well. Like would not go all the way to the bottom. The .38's fit perfect and shot well. I tried several brands and all did the same. Is this an ammo issue or a gun issue? Anyone else have this issue and what may be the cause. Also a newbie to revolves so cut me a bit of slack.......

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
Does the Python shoot more .38 Specials than .357s? If so, there could be powder or lead buildup at the step where a .357 would chamber. A good cleaning may take care of that.

·
Registered
394 Posts
A real good cleaning of the chamber's in the cylinder might do it. Unless the chamber's were not cut to proper measurement. I had a Ruger Vaquero that had a undersized chamber.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I first got my new-to-me 1979 Python, the same thing happened to me, but in reverse. The .357 brass would not eject and folks here on the Forum advised to thoroughly clean the cylinders of the carbon build-up from the .38 Specials. I did and the problem has not reoccurred. Give them a good clean, I use Hoppes 9.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,994 Posts
For proper chamber cleaning buy a couple of BRONZE, NOT stainless steel chamber cleaning brushes from Brownell's.
These are not only over sized they have stiffer bristles then a bore brush, and do a faster-better job then using a larger caliber bore brush.......

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm sure it's only a matter of cleaning properly the chambers, so that also the 357 Mag cases will fit to pefection.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I shoot 90% or more 38 special ammo in my 357 chambered colts. Usually as long as I clean with a patch of solvent ( usually Hoppes9) and a brass/bronze brush after the range session, a 357 cartridge will drop in the chambers. In fact that’s my “gauge” if I cleaned well enough. If a 357;wont drop in, then more brushing required.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts