Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY GUYS,
I just bought a Colt 357 Border Patrol 4 inch revolver.
I can't find any info.on it anywhere.
Was this gun made for public sale or for Border Personnel only ? Any collectable status ?What would it be going for ? I would rate it Ex.condition with box.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Bwana, it all depends. Colt made them twice, once around 1952 in serial # range 82300 if you have one of those, your talking highly collectable and big bucks. Second issue was from 1970-1975 and this gun was similar to the Trooper Mark III, not so big bucks. You didn't say if it was Blue or Nickel, nickel is worth more depending on condition, it could be in the $500-$600 range. Hope this is some help.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
The Colt .357 Border Patrol is simply a Colt Trooper Mark III that was sold to the U.S. Border Patrol for issue to their personnel.
Time frame for BP issue was sometime in the mid to late 70's, as I recall.

In keeping with the Border Patrol's history of having Colt revolvers with the Border Patrol name on it, Colt stamped these with the BP marking on the barrel. Other than that, there is no difference between these and the standard Mark III.

Don't confuse the .357 Mark III/Border Patrol
with the rare 1950's .38 Special Border Patrol model, of which only 400 were made.

These were apparently not used all that much before being sold to the civilian market.

I see these from time to time, with the price fluctuating rather wildly from about the same as a standard Mark III, to "My God, it's a GENUINE Border Patrol gun" high price.

These will have collector interest, and certainly aren't going to get any cheaper, especially with the box. DON'T SELL THIS ONE.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Listen to dfaris he d man, and knows much more than I, Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was an officer with the Border Patrol in 1961. My issued gun was a Colt, marked "Border Patrol". It was used when it was issued to me and shoot 3" left at 25 yards.

As soon as I could, I bought, and got permission to carry, a Python,

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 07-17-2003).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
JCM298A
My how the times changed.
Back in the "good ol' days" before WWII, the Border Patrol bought new Colt New Service revolvers for the agency.

Charlie Askins took it upon himself to personally sight-in the entire batch, by bending and filing the front sights. They were spot on......for him.

A good many of the people who they were issued to complained about getting defective guns with bent sights. Others just figured they'd gotten bent in shipping, and straightened the back out.
A few of the good shots, were mad that Askins had "tampered" with their guns, and were unhappy that they weren't sighted in properly for them.

They royally flamed Askins for horning in, and Askins wasn't too receptive to criticism.

From that episode on, new guns were issued out straight from the factory.

To bad you couldn't have kept the old Border Patrol-marked Colt, they're now very valuable collector's items.

·
Registered
265 Posts
dfariswheel,

You are so right about being able to have kept it, but I turned it in when I left that fine organization. Besides, I hated that gun because I had to remember Kentucky windage during our training. I had to qualify with it and then qualify again with the Python before getting permission to carry it. I was getting paid to shoot and ammo. was free. I sure miss those days.

I never met Askins but have heard and read about him. Bill Jordon was one of my instructers and he was a gentleman,

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts