Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I own an almost new 6 inch Python and anticipate putting around 750-1000 rounds per month thru it for the forseeable future. I will be using fairly light wadcutter loads.

Here's my question:

Do you see any advantages to using .357 mag cases over .38 special cases in the Python?

If so, why is one more advantageous than the other??

Thanks in advance to the brain trust out there

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you can use .357 over the 38 spl. The reason for this is because by shooting a shorter case then what the cylinder was designed to hold you'll get a buildup of residue in front of the 38 case. What this means is when you try to insert a 357 cartridge you may have a little bit of a hard time getting it in the cylinder.

But shoot either really, I do. But I clean my guns thoroughly after shooting.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I do not own any guns chambered in 38 Special, but I have a bunch of 357's. I shoot a fair number of light target loads. For these loads I always use 357 brass and add about a half grain of powder to any listed 38 Special load. My reasoning is that it is one less batch of brass to buy, one less set of dies (I detest constantly adjusting dies for the case length difference between 38 and 357), the bullet is placed closer to the cylinder throat and there will not be a crud build up problem.

·
Registered
265 Posts
fpfiglia,

I agree with stans. It's also easier to clean after shooting .357's. I have three magnums that have never been used with .38's.

John

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have been shooting 38's in my Python and am starting to notice that when I load up with 357's they don't drop in, you have to give them a little nudge. Is this what happened? If it is, what products, and proceedure would you recommend to clean it out? So far, I have only used Break Free, as an all purpose cleaner/lubricant.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts