Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Really Need some Help/Input in regards to a Colt 357 Magnum Carry. I brought it into a local Gunsmith because it was not firing consistently in Double action (in 50 rounds of shooting 20 light strike FTF). The Gun smith stated that the Main Leaf spring has lost its strength & needs to be replaced. Colt was Contacted and basically stated we don't work on revolvers. (Really ?).

Is there anyone that recommend a GunSmith,Parts Fabricator that would be willing to work on this gun.

So far all the responses i get are "Colt, Sorry don't touch them" or "that was only made for 1 year (1999) Good Luck"

Tried to attach a few photos of the part & gun, hopefully they posted with the thread.

Any help would be much appreciated, this is by far my favorite revolver

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not positive, but I think Cylinder & Slide could help. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,800 Posts
The spring at least looks okay, but the gun appears to have had some custom work and that may be a contributing factor.

As above, the forum go-to pistolsmith is Frank Glenn.
He does Colt work to Colt factory standards.
Quality of work is high, prices and turnaround are excellent.

Since the Magnum Carry used a spring almost exactly the same as the "D" frame models like the Detective Special, it's probable that Glenn can simply fit and adjust a "D" frame spring to repair the problem.
An added advantage is that in case the problem is NOT the spring, Glenn can diagnose and correct that too.

I wouldn't buy any springs before sending the gun to Glenn. He probably has springs, and in case it's not the spring you will save money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the feedback.

( JMAG1) Kevin over @ cylinder & Slide said that the magnum carry is one of the few he won't work on.

(Lonestar57) & (Dfariswheel) I will definitely try to get in touch with Frank Glenn next. will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good to know Glenn will work on Colt’s other than the Python. His website appeared to show that’s the only Colt he works on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
IF it is the spring, it can be re-tempered and reused. But that needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts