Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.357 \"Shooter\"

The Python has been one of my favorite handguns since the late 1960s. This Python dates to the mid-60s and is one of my favorite shooters with 158 grain factory ammunition.

Bill

·
Registered
811 Posts
Re: .357 \"Shooter\"

Doc, once again you amaze me.......................

Thanks for sharing! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

Doctor, glad to see you over here on the "other" forum! Not only are your guns beyond nice, but so is your photography.

If it is not too much trouble, please tell me how you make a picture like the one of this Python. Do you use a light box, or is there a program that removes the background? The Oregon Guns auctions on AA always make the gun appear to be "floating" (mores so than this picture) and when I asked how they did that, the guy who responded said they hired a professional photographer to take their pictures. The responder therefore did not know how it was done, but thought software removed the background and added shadows.

Please tell us your technique.

·
Registered
369 Posts

JudgeColt,
I am not sure how Doc does it but I use a plain old white board. Set the camera on a heavy tripod and adjust the exposure (Sometimes up to 3 seconds) and white balance until the photo comes out how you want it. Any post processing is done in Photoshop or similar program. If you take the photo right you will not need to eliminate the background or adjust it. Lightboxes can be made with cardboard and waxpaper and help alot.
This was done on a gray background and could have been better but I didn't have light boxes then.

Great photo Doc!

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The background I use is a D-Flector, Model DF-240, that is available from Sharpics. You can check out their products at www.sharpics.com. I use a Nikon D70 digital camera, set on ISO 640 (for revolvers finished in blue) and programmed exposure. I use a Nikon 600 flash that is set at about a 40 degree angle from the perpendicular background (direct flash causes burn out of the picture). The program I use to edit and store my photos is called Picasa that is a free download from Goggle, and is by far the best I have found. You have to "experiment" to develop your own system, but these tools will provide you with the basics.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts