Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to get my dad a 357M Colt for his B'day, but dunno which one.
I quite like the vented rib on top of the Python, but haven't shot either of 'em.

I got Colt autoloaders and S&W wheelguns, but me dad's a Colt man,
and preferes the Sq. Butt grips from my S&W 686 rather than RB combat grips becaus ethey look smaller, and he's got rather large hands

Will be shot most (but not exclusively) in single action, and needs a 6" barrel. no scope mounts nor laser grips, just plain old sights.

Are there any quality differences? Python is the best i guess, tho I can't believe the King Cobra won't be as good...

Round Butt/Square Butt?

And what grips to get along?

All thought/opiniopns are welcome...

thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by king nero (edited 04-14-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
IMHO, if you want a strong, hell for stout, 357, then the KC is your gun. On the other hand, if you want the greatest accuracy and smoothest trigger, go for the Python.
Either one are great guns and I am sure as long as it says Colt on the side and it came from you, your dad is going to love it, no matter what.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You really can't go wrong with either choice, but first you should see how high your pennies stack. There can be quite a difference in pricing between the two. You really have to shop around.

·
Registered
132 Posts
No question that the Python is the nicer gun cosmetically by several miles; but the KC will probably take more abuse.

Bill A

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx for the replies!
i'll see what I can get...
in the meanwhile, feel free to add some more thoughts

anyway I'll put up a pic of whatever I'll buy...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A MkIII Trooper is a fine shooting, sturdy Colt revolver. The King Cobra is really no more than a MkV Trooper in new clothes. Or you could look for a Colt 357. That's the daddy to the Python.
There has been several nice Colts that could fill the role.
You should wait on getting the stocks and see which he prefers. Buying stocks really is a personal subject as they have to fit his hand. Something you can't do for him.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 04-21-2004).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bought a python!
just bought a 6", blue steel python.

best bluing I've ever seen! is supposed to be some special blueing, very shiny and very deep blue.

superb DA trigger, too.

serial was K7xxxx , don't remember exactly,
can anybody post when this was made approximately?

and i believe on the barrel was marked, "colt python CTG", if i'm correctly, could have been another gun, too.
what does the CTG stand for?

thx in advance!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Your Python was built in either 1981 or 1982 depending on that second digit after the K. What you are probably looking at is what Colt called Royal Blue. It didn't say Colt Python CTG on the barrel. CTG stands for cartridge.
Good luck and good shooting with your new piece.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT I'LL KEEP ONE .357,
JUST IN CASE!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 04-28-2004).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts