Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The post on stigma of .38 WCF vs .44 and .45 got long. Because my name was mentioned and because I am laid up after knee replacement, I decided to add to it in a new thread.

Here is my take. If I couldn't have .44-40 then I could live with .38-40. If I couldn't have .38-40 then I could live with .44-40. For me .45 Colt is in distant 3rd place.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Mike, I dont know if you read a recent post on my 3rd gen .45 colt. Basicly I like and have many .44 specials, two colt saa`s, 4 various smiths and a ruger all in .44 special. I bought a used/new 3rd gen .45 colt. Took it out along with a Smith model 25-5 to compare. With using the same ammo in both guns, reloads and factory, the emptys dropped right out of the Smith without pushing but was swelled and had to be pounded out of the colt! WHY? Why cant or hasn't Colt ever simply made new right size reamers to use when building their cylinders?? I believe I have read of others having the same problem. Even IF I can locate .454 or .455 bullets, in that cylinder, wont the cases STILL be bulged? I did send the gun back to colt, they gave me a new cylinder that they numbered to the gun, NO charge and it has the removable bushing. In fairness I admit I havent gave the new cylinder a fair test yet and I am ashamed of that, BUT when I try moving around the same rounds in both cylinders side by side the "slop" in both feel exactly the same to me! I dont own a mike nor know how to use one if I did. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr. Feralmerril, the only time I have encountered sticky cases in a .45 SAA was one with two chambers bulged from firing heavy loads. Cases that fell out of another SAA had to be pounded from the one in question. I sent it back to Colt, they built another cylinder to replace the damaged one. Never had a problem with it thereafter. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Of the three it is 45 Colt for me. :D Kinda rymes don't it.

It's a pretty straight wall case that loads easy but I have never loaded the other two. I own a 44wcf but would rather shoot the 44 special. Can't figure out where the 38 wcf fits in.:confused:m

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I like all the Colt SAA's no matter the caliber but for me 45 colt is the one for shooting followed by the 44 spl. 38wcf and 44wcf are a pain in the neck for reloading. I like carbide dies and they require no lube.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Are we talking about shooting or reloading? It seems like a few opinions are based more on the ease of reloading as opposed to the joy of shooting.
As for me, it better say "(BISLEY MODEL)" on the barrel :cool:

·
Registered
546 Posts
What Colt75 wrote above about says it all. As to stuck cases in the .45. I've had four SAA's in .45 caliber. The only times cases ever got stuck in any was when they were shot with really old and many times reloaded cases and a 42 grain FFG black powder load. When the cases fail they crack all the way from the mouth to just about the solid head and the fouling gets blown into the chamber wedging the case in. But, even then I didn't have to "pound the cases out." Ejection just required a somewhat heavy push on the ejector rod. And, yes, a fired and sized Remington case will hold 42 grains of FFG as weighed when filled to the mouth. The Keith bullet easily compresses this when the ram of the press is pushed up, or down, depending on the press's maker. 42 grains was Kieth's BP load. It is potent.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Well fortunately you are not a mod. I enjoy not having to scroll through dozens of pages for something specific when one can just view a new thread on the matter. It's different enough to warrant it's own thread.
I hope I don’t offend if I observe that in that “other” thread Azshot laments “splitting” because it is “better” to keep them together, he is responding to some of the comments by asking “better for what?” Probably just my own sense of humor but I found that irony somewhat amusing.

These discussions are thought provoking but we all have our own notions of what is “best” depending on our own tastes. I doubt there is much “need” outside of the .22 LR, 9 mm/.38 Spl and .45 Colt/ACP.

But all the rest keep things interesting - and that is probably the real answer to the collectibility question that prompted all this...we all know “best” for us! Some calibers gain status and everyone wants one...but inherent superiority often seems negligible.

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
I'm strictly in the .45 camp. I have 1st gens in 6 or 7 different calibers but probably over 20 in .45. I just don't have interest in other cals unless good etched panel .44-40's. To me it's 'go big or go home' haha.

Edit to add: The only other caliber that I'd add is a good .44rf.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Maybe I'm missing the point, but I'm lucky enough to have SAA's in 45, 44-40, 44 Spl. and 38-40 and enjoy reloading for and shooting them all! They are each interesting in their own way. Mike, I hope you have a speedy recovery and don't drive your wife crazy! I spent 2 months off my feet after foot surgery - my wife was SO HAPPY when I went back to work!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I like any gun, any caliber. But when I'm shooting obsolete pistol rounds, I like a .40, come to think of it, in my single shot blackpowder rifles I was an early convert to .40-65, better than the .45-70. In automatics, I do prefer a .45 ACP, however.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I am a 45 Colt fan, the SAA, and Ruger's that I own in that caliber all shoot perfect and the 255 Keith type bullets shoot well in SAA and my Marlin lever Action. When I started reloading for my revolvers I decided that with a lead bullet it had to be safe in the Colt SAA, for the Ruger and Marlin I loaded jacketed bullets. I have recently acquired a few SAA in other calibers, and I think I will like the 44 special next.

Craig

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah, I should apologize fellers. I kind of rambled on in the last thread and repeated myself a few times. I will keep it short and sweet this time and say that I would enjoy just about any Colt SAA ever made regardless of generation, barrel length, caliber, or finish :)

Reactions: SMLE1907 and smutt

·
Registered
929 Posts
Well I like them all. 45 Colt SAA (and early S&W) are the least accurate and hardest (takes a lot of experimenting with powders/bullets) to get to shoot well. I love the 38 & 44 WCF (and the 32 WCF too). But nothing beats the 44 Spl for accuracy with any bullet, any load, and a power house to boot.

BTW Mie, how's the knee?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Never found any .45 Colt or .45 ACP, to be difficult to get to shoot accurately provided the bores were good, and in the case of the .45 ACP that it wasn't being shot from a loose, mismatched, rebuilt, rattle trap, Model 1911.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I admit this is something of a simplistic approach but: the Single Action Army was a 45 Colt and for me the 45 Colt is a Single Action Army.

I have a USFA 44 Special Rodeo but it is not my first choice when it comes to shooting.

Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts