Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has the 38 Super been called that since its inception? I've been looking for ammo for a few days and from what I gather, the Super is the same size as the Auto but just loaded for a higher pressure? I've found ammo labeled as 38 ACP, Auto and I have Super ammo so I know what that is. I also was told the ACP(Auto) would shoot in the Super? I have no need or ability to do that (seeing as how I don't have any auto ammo yet). I guess my my question is whats the story on all the ammo? Seems like there are just 2 types: Super and Auto(ACP). Is that correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Has the 38 Super been called that since its inception?

Yes...

I've been looking for ammo for a few days and from what I gather, the Super is the same size as the Auto but just loaded for a higher pressure?

Yes...

The Cartridge dimensions are identical...but, the Loadings are meaningfully different.

I've found ammo labeled as 38 ACP, Auto and I have Super ammo so I know what that is. I also was told the ACP(Auto) would shoot in the Super?

.38 ACP as such, would likely fire and function just fine in a .38 Super Pistol...depending on how stout the Recoil Spring for the Slide is.

I have no need or ability to do that (seeing as how I don't have any auto ammo yet). I guess my my question is whats the story on all the ammo? Seems like there are just 2 types: Super and Auto(ACP). Is that correct?

Yes, two different Names, two different Loadings, same Cartridge dimensions.

In some .38 Super Pistols, 9mm Bergman Bayard aka 9mm Largo, will also function just fine...but it is a little too peppy or too powerful for the .38 ACP Pistols...or, is about at a half-way mark, between .38 ACP and .38 Super, and, a nearly identical Cartridge...so, it ouwld tend to be the Ejector which would determine how well it would function for the ejection aspect.

.38 Super of course is too powerful to use in the earlier .38 ACP Pistols...and or would harm them.

Too - Beware of old 're-loads' or suspected re-loads in old Factory Boxes, who's Head Stamp says ".38 ACP" as these can very well be someone's long ago .38 Super Loadings, or, have some long ago beginner's accidental double charges of Bullseye, or who knows.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Sounds good. Now the question is:Does anyone have any 38 ACP for a decent price?:)

I myself would not shoot remanufactured .38 ACP 'Hardball' in any of my early Colt .38 Autos anyway, even though I t-h-i-n-k some outfit in Indianna or somewhere does offer remanufactured .38 ACP made to the old usual Factory spec with the 130 Grain 'Full Copper Patch'...and, I think it sells for around 40-something Dollars for a box of fifty.

I did used to shoot mine a great deal long ago, and, I always used nice friendly Lead Bullets, and, did my own re-Loading.

.357 diameter, 148 or 158 Grain Semi Wadcutters, usually meant for .38 Special always fed and functioned perfectly in mine, and, I had to calculate a correct and also somewhat reduced Charge for these as my use was for 50 Yard Bullseye or similar Shooting on Paper Targets...and I was after consistency and a few inched drop was fine with me, especially as a reduced charge is easier on the old Pistols if shooting them much.

One can get a Mold for casting a .357, 130 Grain RNL Bullet, also, if one liked...or, maybe, who knows, some Bullet Manufacturer might still carry them.

I have a Mold for that somewhere buried in Storage, but I never used it since I preferred the Semi Wadcutter for Paper Target events.

Most 9mm Lead Bullets would likely do alright too, far as re-Loading goes, but they would tend to be a teeeeeny bit too small in theory.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I think it should be mentioned that early .38 Super cartridges used the same case as the .38 ACP except the cases were nickel plated. If the headstamp is 38 Auto and a nickeled case it is more than likely a .38 Super

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I think it should be mentioned that early .38 Super cartridges used the same case as the .38 ACP except the cases were nickel plated. If the headstamp is 38 Auto and a nickeled case it is more than likely a .38 Super

In the beginning, yes...good reminder!

Some early .38 Super Ammunition could have been Headstamped ".38 ACP" and the Box and Color-Code of the Nickled Case was supposed to clue or cue the Purchaser or user.

Scarey!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Sounds like that if I want some factory ammo then I need to find some maybe marked specifically for the 1900,1902 or 1903. I don't know that I'll shoot it enough for reloading. I would love to find the red and yellow Western box I had. All of the super ammo i have is marked super so I don't have to worry about that confusion.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
box ends.jpg Super X.jpg Western X.jpg
The yellow boxed 38 Auto is marked "Western" over the red X; 38 Automatic 130 GR. Full Metal Case; headstamp W-W (top of case rim) 38 Auto (bottom); brass case.

The yellow boxed .38 Super Auto is marked "SUPER" over the red X; 38 Super Automatic 130 GR. Full Metal Case; headstamp W-W Super (top) 38 Auto; nickeled case.

I do have some Remington 38 Supers nickeled cases that are headstamped R-P 38 Auto, and are definately Super 38s. I shot 50 out of 100.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Everytime I look at the picture of that Pocket Hammer and that near perfect high polish blue I salivate....

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The finish isn't perfect but definately beautiful. I would say I appreciate it but I really have no room to say that. I didn't make the pistol or maintain it. I guess what I do appreciate is the person who took care of it to keep that kind of finish.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's another question for you guys. Is all 38 super ammo marked as +P nowadays? Seems like the only thing I find is. Even on the boxes that Ken shows in this thread they still say (high velocity). My problem is that I don't want to "overpower" my 1929 super by shooting something not originally designed for it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes it is supposed to be all +p so it reminds folks to keep it out of the 38ACP. Interesting point though. Out of my 38supers, current name brand ammo runs about 1100FPS for a 130 grn bullet. The original ammo was (after adjustment) 130 at 1300 and the 38 ACP was 130 at 1050 fps. So modern +p ammo is about equal to old 38 ACP ammo.

I reload mine to 130 grns at 1300 and get great accuracy.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I was just looking at some of my "Chrony" results at 10 feet, with the .38 Super and a Colt MKIV Series 70:
Winchester 125 gr STHP: avg: 1196.1
Winchester 130 MC; avg: 1195.6

On the bottom of the boxes I posted there is this:
.38 Super: Muzzle Velocity 1280 ft./sec., Muzzle Energy 475 ft. lbs.

.38 Auto: Muzzle Velocity 1040 ft./sec., Muzzle Energy 312 ft. lbs.

As for a Colt Pocket Hammer, Ive always wanted one. As a matter of fact I'm looking for a commercial Star Modelo Super that is chambered for 9mm/.38: 9mm Largo and .38 ACP.

Its been quite a few years since I've shot any .38 Auto ammo. I only have the one box and I had to buy two partial boxes to make it up. Wish I had kept the extras because there was some Super Auto in one of them as the box of Supers in not a full box.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts