Colt Forum banner

38 Auto ammunition

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Fortibus55 
#1 ·
I have a Colt Model 1903 in .38 auto. It's in great shape and I have considered firing it, though I don't see the ammunition that often. Came across these four boxes, each containing a full 50 rounds of what appears to be original rounds. Paid $20 a box. Just for future reference from those more experienced in this vintage ammo, too much or reasonable purchase? Thanks for any imput.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good price. Might want to save a couple boxes as it does have collector value. Shoot one box of the Remington and keep the other three. A couple of boxes of vintage ammunition always look good when displayed with a vintage pistol.
Appreciate the input. Pretty much on the same lines as what I had in mind. I also like seeing photos of the older Colts with vintage ammo. Just wasn't sure if $20 a box was reasonable for in the future.
Anyone have an idea as to vintage/year ranges of the boxes in the photo?

#5 ·
Congratulations! Wish I could get a few boxs at $20 per. .38 Auto or .38ACP is out of production for decades. I have several pistols that shoot it and I was glad to trade two new boxes of .38 Special for two old boxes of .38 Auto. Now and then I hear of a source to buy new .38 Auto but none has panned out so far. There are ammo collectors and someone will come aboard to give you the skinny on age and value of your find.

#8 ·
I recently bought a 1903 Hammer pocket pistol and want to shoot it....found dome original U.S.Cartridge ammo, but no box.....
I have 40 yrs. of reloading experience and just bought some .38 Super Brass from Star-Line, which will distinguish it form the the R-P brass for my Super loads. I intend to make up some light loads with Bullsey, 231, or VV310 to test the pistol.....
I photographed all the guns in the NRA museum and like to include some ammo boxes in my photos. Let me know if you are willing to sell one box of the Remington .38 Auto (at a profit)......
Here are some photos....

The Colt

A S&W with some ammo for it......

Terry

Email me at:
tjpopkin@mac.com

#12 ·
I believe that the top two Remington boxes date to 1911-1915. I can't help you on the other two.
Blackjack33: Thanks for the info. I very much appreciate it. That range will put it right there with my Model 1903.

tjpopkin: Thank you for the purchase offer but will be holding onto them for now. And as an aside, excellent photo work. Very professional, very interesting layout. Beautiful 1903.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.