Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have in the attic a .38 Banker's Special with pearl grips. The bluing is in pretty good shape and the gun hasn't been fired anytime in the last 20 years. It doesn't use .38 spl. ammo. I have only recently started shooting again and know little about handguns. Anyone with any knowledge about this gun? How old? Is it worth anything?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You have a special gun there. I'm no expert, but what little I know is that it is probably chambered in .38 New Police or .38 S&W caliber. From 1926 to 1933 it was made in square butt and from 1934 to 1940 it was made in round butt, which is yours?
They are fairly rare and with genuine pearl stocks could command a premium price. Maybe others here can give you a better idea of worth.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the help. It has a flat bottom on the butt of the gun and the pearl grips have Colt medallions in them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sounds like my kinda handgun. Factory pearls on a 38 s&w Banker frame... This is an early gun. If you want to get rid of it I'm interested, however it is a nice keeper shooter......Check the serial number inside the cylinder crane, that will date the gun. Henri

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
If the stocks letter to the gun, they add a LOT to the value. A .22 BS is worth a lot more than a .38 BS, but both are quite valuable. I have a .22 BS with factory mother-of-pearl stocks that letter to the gun, but they do not have medallions. Some do, some do not.

You ought to letter the gun to verify the stocks and see if there is anything else unusual about it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'll agree .22lr caliber BS is valued more than the 38s&w caliber, however, they are both in the high end of the Colt collectability food chain. Colt pearl grips are a plus on any Colt firearm. I have a couple of .22lr caliber BS in my collection of Colts, one of them has colt factory pearls but no medalions, belonged to Judge Edgar S. Vaught (federal judge of the Machinegun Kelly trial in Oklahoma City). Alas I have never "Lettered" any of my Colts, to expensive. Henri

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Letters too expensive? How can it be proved the pearl stocks are factory without a letter? When one is considering a $1500 plus gun, what is $75 or $100 to verify a feature that may add $200 or $300 or more to the value of the gun? Without a letter, I would be reluctant to pay much premium for pearl stocks on a gun. If Henri's BS would letter with a connection to the judge mentioned, that would also add more than the cost of the letter to the value of the gun.

Fortunately, I bought dozens of letters when they were $10 and $20, but later acquisitions made recently have required the expenditure of $75 and up. The four months time delay irritates more than the cost. I figure a letter adds at least the cost of the letter to the value of a gun, and more with special features like pearl stocks, or a celebrity owner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to say that this forum has been very helpful and I appreciate the help I have gotten from it(Thanks Jim). Sent in my money, info and pictures to the Colt Archive Service. I am probably going to sell it and get a gun(s) that my kids can learn on and we all can enjoy at 25 yds or more like a Woodsman or such. One thing I have learned over the years, a collectible item is only worth what someone will pay or trade for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts