Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on an old Colt 1877 .38 pistol.

I have 2 springs on order from Poppert and have re-assembled the pistol with the existing parts to become familiar with it.

Question: Every internal part has a nest or exact location for it with the exception of the "hand and cylinder tension spring" (usually #35 on views). It doesn't appear to nest into any other part and seems to just be pushed into the mainframe once the trigger is installed.

Exploded diagrams and even the section view isn't clear on the location of this part.

Has anyone any experience with the hand /cyl tension spring of the 1877 and it's proper installation ?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If you search this forum for past threads on the Colt Lightning Revolver, you will get all the information you need..Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you search this forum for past threads on the Colt Lightning Revolver, you will get all the information you need..Jim

Thanks but that was the first thing I did. There are plenty of Lightning threads but nothing specific to the placing of the "hand and cylinder tension spring".

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It simply slides up in the frame ( fingers down) before installing the sear. Short leg holds the bolt in the cylinder, long leg holds the sear in the hammer notches....Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello again Caliber 38. I received my springs from poppert and have assembled the pistol a couple of times now. Just like the other threads, my single action full cock is the only trouble.

The other threads have a "thunderer" which seems to have a 4 legged "hand and cylinder stop spring" but I have a "lightning" which only has a 2 legged spring.

My sear is not engaging the hammer only at SA full cock.

Question: What mechanism puts pressure on the sear to have it forced agaainst the hammer? The Thunderer has 1 of the 4 legs to do this but the lightning does not.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
First; the Thunderer and Lightning are the same except for calibre. ALL internal parts are identical..2 legged spring is correct for both calibres..Second; The long leg of that spring is what holds the sear against the notches on the hammer. Is the sear spring too long or too short? Is the sear worn and needs to be replaced?. Assemble the inners WITHOUT the sear spring, now hold preasure on the sear and see if it cocks and holds? If so sear is probably OK. Trouble is with the sear spring..Now you are finding out why very few pistolsmiths will repair this model Colt...This problem is something I would have to see for myself. I can only guess at the solution....Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All springs came in and with a little advice the gun is re-assembled and works well. I was lucky and only needed to replace the trigger spring and the hand spring. Still I see where it is more difficult to re-assemble than mosy guns. I didn't realize that one spring was attached to the sear via a small groove.

I need one more thing to finally finish this restoration.....a loading gate.

I have googled it and cannot find one. Do any of the "colt forum" readers have one for sale?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
There was one on E-Bay. Along with the gate you need a Loading Gate catch, spring and screw to complete the assembly....Yes that groove keeps the spring in place.....Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts