Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old would this .38 special be S.N.#c482XX.And one other ?,the revolver is in great condition,almost new i'd say,How much would it be worth.A friend is selling it,so i would like some info before i buy. Thank you for any helpfull info. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Does that mean you are not sure what the answer is? If so, in the post referenced by the link there is, among other things, a link to the website proofhouse.com. On the proofhouse main page there is a selection for Colt Serial Numbers. Select that, then scroll down the left frame to Colt Double Action Revolvers, Detective Special. Select that, then scroll down the right frame until you find the serial number range that contains your serial and note the corresponding year of manufacture. The proofhouse data covers to 1978. Beyond that, a call or email to Colt customer service will get you date of manufacture info, but that's all. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you,I apreciate it,the revolver is a 1973 model,like i said before it still looks brand new,what do you think its worth.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Many, including me, are somewhat reluctant to assign values, especially sight unseen because there are many variables. However, the Blue Book of Gun Values is a place to start although it is only a guide and, especially in the case of Colt revolvers, many have become sought after and the book does not accurately reflect the market for those models. Having said that, 1973 would be what the book calls a "third issue" (it would have a shrouded ejector rod) and the book values are $300 for 90%, $400 for 95%, $425 for 98% and $450 for 100%. You can see that in some ranges a small difference in grading can mean a big difference in value. One way to get an idea of current market is to watch the online sales sites like Gunbroker.com, AuctionArms.com and GunsAmerica.com for similar models in similar condition and note not only what is being asked, but what is actually bid. One additional factor in your case is state of residence. You might get a better price with a legal sale there (whatever that is) because of the limitation on incoming handguns as you probably well know. Hopefully you will get some additional input here, perhaps including from the Kalifornia members. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Perhaps this might be an additional resource. http://www.laguns.com/index.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts