Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 38ColtDetectiveSpecial,Ser#715xxx. The gripps have a lot of wear,the bluing seems to be in better shape. I suspect the bluing has been touched up, but I Can't tell. This gun has the slickest double action I have ever felt, and the single action is good also. should I replace the gripps, or leave the origonal ones on it? Where I be likely to find new stock gripps for that old ov a Colt? What year was this gun made in? I would like to post a picture of it, but I don't know how to do it yet.
Thanks,
Chubbo

Thanks,
Chubbo

·
Registered
535 Posts
Welcome, Chubbo! Unless you've got a very old DS, one of the, "square butts," (!?) any Colt DS or Agent or Cobra stocks will fit, as well as Pachmayer's, Hogue's, Uncle Mike's, etc. It's hard to beat the originals ... they do just what they were supposed to. These guns often have unbelievably nice actions and triggers and it sounds like yours is one of them - Congratulations! No help from me with pix nor dates, just happy to have you aboard!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,889 Posts
You Colt was made in 1958.

On the older Colt's, Colt used a "full" grip frame. That is, the grip was as long as the wooden grips.
VERY early guns,(1920's) had a square butt, with guns made up until sometime in the 50's having a round butt frame.

Some time in the 50's Colt changed all the "D" frame guns to a "stubby" frame.
Underneath the grips is a short, squared butt stub-type frame.
On these guns, the grips overlap on the bottom.

Just look at your guns butt. If you can see a rounded steel frame, you have an early-type gun. If all you see is either a flat steel frame, or nothing but wood, you have a newer short frame gun.

If you have an older long butt gun, grips will be harder to find. Check Gun Parts Corporation at http://www.e-gunparts.com
or look on Ebay.

For the newer short frame guns, many grip makers like Hogue, Pachmayr and others offer grips, and originals can also be bought from Gun Parts and Ebay.

If your gun feels OK in your hand, there is no need to change out the grips. If it doesn't, check out the Hogue or Pachmayr grips.
Colt used the Pachmayr Compac model on factory guns for years, and these are still available with Colt Gold medallions from Gun Parts and Ebay.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
dfw is a little off on the dates of the frame change. The DS was introduced in 1927 with a square butt. The round butt was introduced in 1933. The long frame round butt continued until 1966, when the abbreviated short butt frame was introduced for all D-frames, and then the stocks were used to adjust the length of the butt frame to the desired length.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts