Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reloading .38 Long Colt black powder to fire in my Colt Model 1877's using .38 Special dies and cases. I use hollow base wad cutters and had very good accuracy with these loads. The problem I have having is if I tilt revolver back while cocking it, the bullet slips out of the chamber just enough to catch on the cylinder stop and jam up the action. If I tilt it forward it does not jam the action up. I had read the two cases were the same diameter, but the pictures below show there is a .002" difference between them

Is there a difference between the .38 Long Colt and .38 Special dies? I would think using the .38 Long Colt dies may expand the .38 Special brass that extra .002", and allow it to stay in the chamber better.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
I don't believe your problem is case related. Have you tried cocking the gun with an actual 38 long colt cartridge? My military 1901 DA doesn't care if I load a hollow base wadcutter in either a 38 LC case or a 38 special case. Of course my swing out action is different than your 1877. I am sizing with 38/357 dies.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe your problem is case related. Have you tried cocking the gun with an actual 38 long colt cartridge? My military 1901 DA doesn't care if I load a hollow base wadcutter in either a 38 LC case or a 38 special case. Of course my swing out action is different than your 1877. I am sizing with 38/357 dies.
I don't have any actual .38 Long Colt cartridges to compare it with. I did order a set of Lee .38 Long Colt dies, so I will have to wait and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
I just picked some up. I was told .38 Special was the same dimensions as the .38 Long Colt. So I figured I would try those and the seemed to work.
I'm loading 25 and 32 Remington for an old Remington Model 8 autoloader and it would've been convenient to have had some factory rounds to go by.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm loading 25 and 32 Remington for an old Remington Model 8 autoloader and it would've been convenient to have had some factory rounds to go by.
I had some .38 Special cases on hand and didn't want to spend a great deal of money on smokeless .38 Long Colts that I couldn't fire thru my 1877. I ordered some .38 Long Colt brass from Track of the Wolf and a set of Lee dies. Will post what the differences are once I receive them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts