Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching around for guns I notice this cartridge.I know that the .32 New Police is the same thing as the .32 S&W long except the bullet shape and the powder charge.But can anyone tell me what I need to know about the .38 New Police.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok,,I pulled out an old load book and found out that this caliber is the same as 38 S&W.The brass is shorter(.775)and the bullets(.360)are bigger then a regular 38 Special.Thanks anyway and I figured sense I found this out I thought I'd share...Oh by the way the ammo is still available.About the same price as 357 mag.Probably because they don't sell a lot of em.

I should have known,as I heard somewhere that Colt wouldn't put the S&W name on their guns,so they'd always come up with names such as this...38 Colt New Police.

From the looks of the balistics it still looks like a pretty deadly round.600 to 700 F.P.S. with a 158 gr. bullet,which is about the same as the S&W special.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Yup. Though I've seen this round much picked on of late the Brits used it to good effect in their Webleys. They called it the .38/200 in a load that used a 200 grain bullet. Yes a 200 grain bullet. Can't have been much room for powder, in the small case.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
The .38 New Police was Colt's name for the .38 S&W. Perhaps the bullet shape was different, but that is the only difference. I guess Colt did not like putting Smith's name on its guns.

Early this year, I was watching an early first year Cobra chambered in .38 NP, and tried to get some information from the seller, who never replied. It closed with no bids and was never listed again. I should have bid without hearing from the seller, but I thought surely the seller would put it up again. I assume someone negotiated a purchase off-line.

That is one of those for which I kick myself for trying not to spend as much as it was worth. I always end up regreting it. You would think I would learn after 40+ years!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Been there Done that.
I didn't know colt had ever chambered a cobra in 38 NP
Seems they did a lot of stuff with the cobra they didn't do with other D frames.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts