Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Out of my guns, +p+ winchester is less then a 38/44 round but more than a +p round. This assumes 158 grn bullets.

The big question I have is unless you are shooting them out of a 38/44 or a 357 magnum, why do you want to shoot them in an old OP?

By the way, the 38/44 has an is a hobby of mine. I have been collecting Heavy Duties and Outdoorsman revolvers for a few years and have picked up some 38/44 ammo and chrono-ed the stuff. Very interesting cartridge.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well hello. Seems I bump into you Mr. Eick wherever I go. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The answer to your question is that while I don't intend to go down to the range with five boxes of either .38/44 or +P+ every week I would be interested in firing it out of my OP once in a blue moon as I'd like to see just how such a round feels in the medium sized revolver. Other than that I wouldn't make a practice out of it as I don't want to wear out a nice old gun like the OP.
But really, I'd like to be able utilize the maximum potential of my OP as a defense weapon if need be (like carrying the hottest round safely possible for that gun or just carrying a backup speedloader full for extra power).

While I could go ahead and get a M-19 or carry my Python 1) the .357 medium frame guns are bulky and heavier than the .38 medium frame guns, 2) the Python is too nice to carry on a regular basis 3) I'd like to make the most out of what I already have rather than buying a new gun.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would basically look at it from a chrono standpoint. Given a reasonable powder (like say 2400) for the 38 special. If you wanted say 1000 fps as a weak 38/44 out of a 5" Heavy Duty or an OP, then you could easily get there without significant pressure. I got there easily with titegroup or trailboss, but they are awful quick, so I don't recommend it for playing around. I would just start at +P load levels for a 158 grn lead slug, and work my way up to 1000 fps. Now if you want to go to 1050, that takes a bit more work and 1100 is doable, but you will get pressure signs.

If you want loading information in specifics, email me and I can get you some published links to 38/44 load levels, but I would personally work it up in my gun.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I would basically look at it from a chrono standpoint. Given a reasonable powder (like say 2400) for the 38 special. If you wanted say 1000 fps as a weak 38/44 out of a 5" Heavy Duty or an OP, then you could easily get there without significant pressure. I got there easily with titegroup or trailboss, but they are awful quick, so I don't recommend it for playing around. I would just start at +P load levels for a 158 grn lead slug, and work my way up to 1000 fps. Now if you want to go to 1050, that takes a bit more work and 1100 is doable, but you will get pressure signs.

If you want loading information in specifics, email me and I can get you some published links to 38/44 load levels, but I would personally work it up in my gun.

Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know, that just might be my next leisure purchase, a set of self loading equipment. I would be interested in pressure loads. Tell me though, as Lead bullets are what I understand selfloaders to typically use, is it possible to mold one of those 158 gr Lead bullets into a LSWCHP (FBI bullet) hollowpoint with .38/44 pressures. Sounds like that would make the FBI load a much more effective round to me.

Also, is it possible to doctor up self loading bullets in other ways, like giving them a FMJ or something that could better penetrate auto bodies and such?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
First I'm not quite sure what you mean by "self loading bullets", but to answer one of your questions yes you can cast a LSWCHP bullet of about 158 grains. HP bullets are somewhat of a pain to cast, but it is possible. You may have to adjust your melt to push the bullets at the velocities you want. Now to make FMJ or any jacketed bullet you have to start swaging bullets. You need different equipment than casting and you then push pure lead under pressure (swaging) into the jacket.
Basically anything the factory does to a bullet you can also do at home with the right equipment.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see I misworded myself, I didn't mean self loading bullets, I mean't self made bullets, and you that part of the question quite well. Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts