Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just acquired a 1974 nickle Colt Detective Special that's in almost new shape. It came with Colt Mother of Pearl grips that are pretty spectacular. I was going to just keep int gun in my safe but took it out to shoot once and was so impressed with how it shot that I've decided to make it my carry gun ( I'm putting different grips on first!). I'm sure this has been covered before so maybe someone can direct me to the thread. My question is the use of 38 +ps in the gun? If not, what is a good defensive round to carry?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Since it is a carry and won't be used for other then it will be OK. Plus pressure loads will not do the revolver much good if used regularly. Controlling the little beastie with those loads is another consideration. If it is used at night for defense - you may wind up temporarly blinded from the flash of discharge. I would opt for a lighter load and a well placed shot or three if faced with multiple threats.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
Colt rated the heavy shrouded barrel Detective Special for "up to" 3000 rounds of +P. After that they were to be returned to the factory for inspection and possible frame replacement.

The aluminum models like the Cobra were rated to 1500 rounds.

Since Colt no longer has any frames, it's good sense to limit how much +P you shoot.

Here's a late Colt "D" frame owner's manual that addresses suitable ammo. See page One:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_det...ack,_police_positive,_agent,_cobra,_viper.pdf

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
In a high risk situation , I would carry Buffalo Bore 158plus p lhp in a post 72 DS. This gives you a LOW FLASH load, leaving the Colt at 1025 fps. It hits to point of aim. The non plus p version ,hits 825-850 fps ,not bs test barrel data ,this is what it does out of MY Detective Special. The standard pressure load exceeds every 158 lhp plus p load from Winchester ,Federal and Remington that I chronographed . The plus p load exceeds 357 from the same barrel length. Pretty serious load.Enjoy the Detective Special ,the finest CCW 2 inch 38 ever made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.