Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a Colt Trooper in the 915xxx serial number range. The gun is 98% and has the target sights and heavy bull barrel. The stocks are the standard checkered variation found on the OP with silver medalions. It has the target hammer, and a box is supposed to be coming with it. This is beyond the point that I normally collect. Can anyone tell me if this serial number is from 1956? I'm trying to determine just which Trooper it might be, references refer to target stocks not the standard checkered ones. Thanks! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Bob, this Trooper could be a 1956 or a 1957 (the forth digit is needed to be for sure).

At the last Tulsa gun show I found this variation in 100% condition (no box and it had the standard hammer) asking $450. It was the gun I almost brought home but non-target hammer and stocks kind of turned me off.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,802 Posts
This is early enough that it still has the original hammer mounted firing pin.

Unusually, it has a Target hammer, but Service grips.
These .38 Special Troopers are very strong and will last approximately forever and two days. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info! It would be 1956 as the serial number is 9151xx...

And Addicted... Thanks for the comparison price! :)

I read somewhere that there was another Trooper series about 1967 or so that was in the 800xxx or 900xxx range so I just wanted to verify that this one was 1956 ...

Thanks Again! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DFariswheel said:

"This is early enough that it still has the original hammer mounted firing pin.

Unusually, it has a Target hammer, but Service grips.
These .38 Special Troopers are very strong and will last approximately forever and two days"

That's interesting information! Thanks! I think the Troopers I've been thinking of were MK III models...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
One thing I have yet to figure out on these early Trooper models is that some have a ground barrel face. Machine ground with a cup wheel in a across face motion. So far I've only seen this on .22lr and .38 calibers. Not yet seen on the .357 mag caliber. When seen as machine ground the face is always unfinished. When the barrel face is blued it's not machine ground but appears to be buffed. Maybe Dr. D or someone else has some insight on this. I've never seen this on the M357's.

For those that don't know me (by now), I'm the question guy. I have more questions than answers.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Bob, These early Trooper models were concurrent serial ranges with the M357 model and the Officers Model Match. The M357/Trooper range was 1-84616 and the OMM/Trooper range was 900351-938520. The MKIII is actually the 3rd s/n grouping and began sharing with the Trooper at s/n J1001. As far as pricing, I believe there is little difference between the 1st two s/n groupings. I'm more fond of the M357 range just because the M357 is lower production and the s/n range is earlier.

Is the box numbered to the gun and does it have the contents? Is the barrel face ground?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
One thing I have yet to figure out on these early Trooper models is that some have a ground barrel face. Machine ground with a cup wheel in a across face motion. So far I've only seen this on .22lr and .38 calibers. Not yet seen on the .357 mag caliber. When seen as machine ground the face is always unfinished. When the barrel face is blued it's not machine ground but appears to be buffed. Maybe Dr. D or someone else has some insight on this. I've never seen this on the M357's.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat...h=true#Post8841 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The barrel faces that I've seen aren't "polished", they are stone ground by a cup wheel via a surface grind machine.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I saw an article last year discussing the development of the Python. The original plan called for the Python to also have the muzzle 'in the white,' but apparently this caused the bore to appear 'lopsided' and the muzzle was blued instead.

Nice Trooper BTW.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I guess the term "in the white" has been around for awhile. My face is "in the red". /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Don't feel bad. I wasn't familiar with that muzzle characteristic when I acquired my 357, having focused mostly on newer models. I wondered if the barrel had been recrowned and left unfinished until I turned up the info on the forum. That's why I had the handle on some previous posting on the topic, not because I "knew all along." /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
At the risk of sounding like I am obsessed with Jerry Kuhnhausen (and contradicting my earlier post), I will note that in his 'Colt's DA Manual' he shows a 4" Python in a Ransom Rest with what appears to be a white muzzle (pg. 124).

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Addicted,

I have yet to learn if there really is a box with it. The seller is getting several guns in along with a bunch of other gun "stuff"... If the box is there, it will be numbered to the gun and go with it. There was a box for a different Colt with this group of guns but the gun for it was missing... Hopefully it will be in the next batch of guns... So don't know yet...

The muzzle is Blue on this Trooper, and the muzzle is white on my Officer's Model Special... Do you have any idea of the time/serial number when the change was made?

Thanks everyone for all of the information on this Trooper!

Bob Best

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The muzzle is Blue on this Trooper, and the muzzle is white on my Officer's Model Special... Do you have any idea of the time/serial number when the change was made?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, this has been difficult as there seems to be no standardization....or not one that I can figure out.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kevin,
I would guess that this information is probably not in print anywhere as I have yet to find a reference work on the Postwar Troopers, OPs ect... It would take recording serial numbers and descriptions of these guns and building a database on them like I have on the early New Army and Navy Colts... Its amazing what you learn from recording this stuff and the different changes you find after recording a few thousand descriptions! :) I didn't know if you are accumulating this type of information or not... Thanks! Bob

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Kevin,
I would guess that this information is probably not in print anywhere as I have yet to find a reference work on the Postwar Troopers, OPs ect... It would take recording serial numbers and descriptions of these guns and building a database on them like I have on the early New Army and Navy Colts... Its amazing what you learn from recording this stuff and the different changes you find after recording a few thousand descriptions! :) I didn't know if you are accumulating this type of information or not... Thanks! Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Documented research is far to under rated. There needs to be more of it and knowledge shared.

Example: At the spring 2006 Tulsa gun show a man approached me at my table. He was documenting Aircrewman models and he noticed my 2 Aircrewman in my display case both with factory letters. He took down notes as we talked for the next 30 minutes. At that time he had documented 26 Aircrewman but about half weren't verified with a factory letter. He was especially interested in mine as they were authentic. The notebook he carried was 1” thick and it was packed full of Aircrewman documentation. He took down my serial numbers and I was glad to lend any information as he is truly an unsung hero. I only hope that someday his efforts show up in a book.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts