Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did colt make a 38 special with the front of the trigger guard cut off. If so i found one today it looks all original minus the grips look wrong.nickle plated

·
Registered
907 Posts
In the 1930's Colt made some "Fitz Specials" which had the front of the trigger guard and hammer spur removed. A genuine Fitz is very valuable, but fakes exist. Which model is it? Barrel length? Markings? Any pics?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
As far as I know the factory did not. There were smiths modifying them by cutting away the front of the triggerguard including a famous one named Fitz. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than I can resond.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
Bushwacker is right.
Colt had a famous shooter/gunsmith named Fitzgerald working for them.
"Fitz" and Colt made up special guns with the front of the trigger guard cut away, and the hammer spur removed.
While these were almost always revolvers, there were 1911 automatics done.
These Fitz guns are extremely rare, copies are common.

While ONLY a Colt Historical Letter can positively identify a genuine factory Fitz model, here's some things to look for on ORIGINAL factory Fitz guns:

On stock factory guns, Colt stamps the "Verified Proof" mark on the FRONT LEFT side of the trigger guard web.
This mark is a tiny "VP" in a triangle and is Colt's final proof mark.

On genuine Fitz guns, since the front of the trigger guard and web are cut off, Colt stamped the "VP" on the left REAR trigger guard web.
If your gun has NO "VP" mark, and has instead an inspector's letter stamped there, it's NOT a factory gun.

Genuine Fitz guns had the hammer spur cut off to prevent snagging, and have the top of the hammer very neatly checkered.
If the top on your gun's hammer is smooth, grooved, or more crudely checkered, is not a genuine Fitz.

The only genuine Fitz guns were made in the 1930's, and fall into very specific serial number ranges.

MANY, MANY copies of the Fitz Colt's have been made over the years, and every time a magazine showed a Fitz, people cut more of them up because they thought they looked Cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts