Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
When I was a kid I first learned hollow point bullets were nicknamed "Dum-Dum" bullets and you either had to drill out a hole in the bullet or use a knife and cut an "X" in the bullet. Makes me wonder if any company actually marketed a round with that name.

·
Registered
473 Posts
When I was a kid I first learned hollow point bullets were nicknamed "Dum-Dum" bullets and you either had to drill out a hole in the bullet or use a knife and cut an "X" in the bullet. Makes me wonder if any company actually marketed a round with that name.
Me too.. Question, why Dum-Dum? Interesting that it was British developed in the Dum Dum arsenal that got used for India...

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-32-dum-dum-bullets-and-the-box-otruth/

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
I don't know if it was the British that manufactured them, but there was a .303 cartridge with an aluminum insert at the front of the projectile, which was covered by the bullet jacket. Upon hitting something the bullet started to immediately tumble. When fired into a dirt backstop the bullets showed most impacts either on the side or completely turned around. I had never seen these "segmented" bullets, but they do work on the local Armadillo population;

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've read that some folks filed the points down on FMJ rounds. It seems the lead was forced out of the jacket and down the barrel but the jackets stayed in creating a huge problem. Without the hard metal jacket in the front in of the bullet the lead was kind of like toothpaste being squeezed out of the tube. Having never tried it I'm not sure this is factual, but it seems logical.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
In the back of Sheldon's book on "Colt's Super.38" two letters are re-printed.
One from Colt stating that they felt that the .38 Super load @1300 was okay in the older guns, but then stating otherwise.
The other letter, although hard to read, is from Western Ammo to Remington requesting a verification from the Technical Committee of the validity of this, and then stating that maybe the boxes should be marked accordingly.

This is what I believe led to the current, although discontinued, .38 Auto load @1050 fps.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've read that some folks filed the points down on FMJ rounds. It seems the lead was forced out of the jacket and down the barrel but the jackets stayed in creating a huge problem. Without the hard metal jacket in the front in of the bullet the lead was kind of like toothpaste being squeezed out of the tube. Having never tried it I'm not sure this is factual, but it seems logical.
Years ago I recall reading an account by a military armorer during the Vietnam war. They had received an S&W model 10 that was completely jammed after being used during a firefight on a river rat. On close inspection, they discovered the previous user had cut the tips off FMJ ammo in an attempt to make homemade "dum dum" rounds. With the first shot, the jacket stripped off and remained in the barrel; the next five rounds had piled up behind it, with the last one still partially stuck in the cylinder. The barrel was slightly bulged, but neither it nor the cylinder had ruptured.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I have a few boxes of this era Remington ammo, but I think it's 38 Special.
I also have a link in my PC bookmarks to a good ammo collector's site. I'll see if I can find it and post the link.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts