Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a gun show, and I picked up this sharp little pistol. It's a Colt MK IV/Series80 Government Model-.380 auto. Serial# RC974??. Would somebody date this for me please. Thank You...Baldy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
526 Posts
so old as to be ANCIENT and unsafe...

you need to send that to me NOW. just to keep you and any "children safe"...

seriously i dont know what the date is for it but its a sweet little pistol. have wanted one for myself for many a year...

congrats...

david

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David for the response. I am beginning to think that nobody is going to give me a hand here. I have a very small Colt collection that I am going to work on.
Thanks again Baldy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
sorry you dont have an answer yet, i seldom check the auto section.1983 was the first yr. of production. serials started at rc01001 and run till last yr. published {1985} rc4309, so i assume sometime after then. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thank you gentleman for the information that I have received so far. It all helps. Thank You... Baldy

·
Registered
39 Posts
A quick call to Colt's customer service dept. should get you the dob of your .380 Gov't. model. Just need the serial number.
1-800-962-COLT(2658)
Well, maybe not today since it's Labor Day. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Pompier. I called Colt and I got the clip in the mail. I also found out that it was made in 1988. It is a blast to shoot I know that for sure.
Thanks for the help from everybody... Baldy...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I own and shoot two different s&W 40 cal models...one is a smaller carry piece (CS40) and the other a traditional 4006 police duty gun...my first mag from the colt 380 I was as, if not more, accurate with the colt than with my experienced guns..and that was at 30ft.. I have a lil backyard range...targets include store bought paper and plastic bottles of frozen color'd water in different sizes...2 liter pepsi, 16oz gatoraide...etc...makes me shift targets...the colt 380, albeit it a much smaller cal with a lot less ft lbs of hit..I believe would be a very effective defense gun cause you can hit your target with it....and I can't say that about my NAA 32acp...I suck with that gun beyond 15ft...never mind 30ft out...the colt is great.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have 4 of the 380s, 3 SS and one blue. One of the SS has been worked over by Novaks, with night sights, action job etc. All are very good shooters, and I would not feel under armed with one of them. Cartridge power is only one of the factors when con sidering a defense gun. Ability to hit, and accurate bullet placement are extremely important. A solid hit with a BB gun is better than a near miss with a 44 Magnum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts