Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently picked mid 80's colt up and it worked great,all 8 fired in a second with no issues. The other day out playing with it,AR10,17hmr,mk1919,etc and it stopped working. It would fire a round or two then it would chamber a round and drop hammer at the same time. You could cock it and fire,but the next round may or may not have the hammer back. It also has light primer hits.
Played with it some more today and let slide go forward,hammer drops with slide,hand cock it and it holds back. Went through a whole mag and had to hand cock hammer for each round. Is this an indication of a broken/worn sear,spring, or something out of place on the weapon?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tore it down a bit more and think I may have found a possible reason. The sear is reactivated to hold when the slide moves back over the disconnect bar,which slides down and pushes the spring loaded trigger bar far enough to drop under the sear and hold back the hammer while the trigger is pulled full to the rear.I noticed that the trigger bar has quite a bit of side play and is at an angle contacting the sear. It just barely does so at the full stroke of the disconnect bar.
I'm thinking a slight tweaking of the trigger bar to straighten angle at the sear,drop it below sear sooner on disconnect bar and tighten up side play should fix the issue of hammer not staying back each cycle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slightly bent trigger bar,which is tougher than it looks,to align with sear better. Dropped slide and also put 50 rds through it faster than you can count em,hammer stays back on each now. Wish I could find another one of these for $400, beats my Ruger,Keltec and is on level with my Bersa for new price diff. Can't believe they quit making them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well, they're making the Mustang again, but the days of $400 Colt .380s are long gone. I have 2 mid 80's GMs myself and I love them, too. I'm hoping Colt comes out with the Government Pocketlight again. I can't see why they wouldn't now...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just saw a new Mustang the other day in stainless/aluminum,it looked pretty,but it was too short in grip/barrel length and also lighter. The gov't all steel version fits better and with longer barrel,a bit more weight makes keeping it on target much easier with little barrel rise. Not sure one in stainless/aluminum would be the same. Also like blued/parkerized for CCW stealth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.