Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I acquired this Dragoon and Stock in swap - not much invested. The metal has been bead blasted and the stocks appears to have some fire damage. The rolled cylinder scene is barely visible. The numbers have been recut. There are a lot of things wrong - but some parts of the gun appear original. I thought it might be a Bannerman parts gun.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Other than some pitting the gun does not show the typical bumps, bruises and wear for a gun of the correct age. I have also seen fire damage used to add character. Having been in the fire damage restoration industry for many years I feel this "charring" was applied for effect.
Just my opinion but I would consider it a non-original.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other than some pitting the gun does not show the typical bumps, bruises and wear for a gun of the correct age. I have also seen fire damage used to add character. Having been in the fire damage restoration industry for many years I feel this "charring" was applied for effect.
Just my opinion but I would consider it a non-original.
I agree it is not a complete original - may be a Belgium knock off - was curious if any of the Forum members had a suggestion as to its origin

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I know very little about Dragoons, but I know about genuine wear and patina on many antiques, including guns. This one looks fake.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Armi San Marco made some military 3rd Model Dragoons in the 70s(?)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I acquired this Dragoon and Stock in swap - not much invested. The metal has been bead blasted and the stocks appears to have some fire damage. The rolled cylinder scene is barely visible. The numbers have been recut. There are a lot of things wrong - but some parts of the gun appear original. I thought it might be a Bannerman parts gun.

Any thoughts?
Jgarrity, I only had to look at your second picture (frame, cylinder, and bare trigger guard strap) to see something very bad here! First, the nice and even fine pitting all over, and even on the cylinder scene. Then those deep cylinder lock slots are not Colt factory of the period. That multi-leaf rear sight looks wonky. All screw heads still have clear lathe turn marks. The mainspring isn’t right, and is of the same thickness overall. That 5283 on the side of trigger strap isn’t like any old Colt, and the “3” is of wrong style.

That is a s far as I need to look.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jgarrity, I only had to look at your second picture (frame, cylinder, and bare trigger guard strap) to see something very bad here! First, the nice and even fine pitting all over, and even on the cylinder scene. Then those deep cylinder lock slots are not Colt factory of the period. That multi-leaf rear sight looks wonky. All screw heads still have clear lathe turn marks. The mainspring isn’t right, and is of the same thickness overall. That 5283 on the side of trigger strap isn’t like any old Colt, and the “3” is of wrong style.

That is a s far as I need to look.
Thanks - these are all good points - I knew it was not original when I acquired it - but thought it was interesting- most likely is Italian gun that has been blasted to look antique

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Thanks - these are all good points - I knew it was not original when I acquired it - but thought it was interesting- most likely is Italian gun that has been blasted to look antique
I will say that the serial numbers on this gun almost look like original Colt. Compare with #13723 attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I will say that the serial numbers on this gun almost look like original Colt. Compare with #13723 attached.
Actually, upon close inspection, these numerials look nothing like your sample of an original Colt 3rd Model Dragoon.

Armi San Marco did produce Stocked Colt Type 3rd Model Dragoons. Recently saw one on an Online Auction. They also supplied parts for 3rd Gen Colt assemblage. Some of these were sold off by Navy Arms, through a subsidiary, SWC, by mail order through the now defunct Shotgun News. I purchased one in the late 70s.
samples.jpg

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, upon close inspection, these numerials look nothing like your sample of an original Colt 3rd Model Dragoon.

Armi San Marco did produce Stocked Colt Type 3rd Model Dragoons. Recently saw one on an Online Auction. They also supplied parts for 3rd Gen Colt assemblage. Some of these were sold off by Navy Arms, through a subsidiary, SWC, by mail order through the now defunct Shotgun News. I purchased one in the late 70s.
I expect Armi San Marco is the best answer. I knew the gun was not original but wanted some advice as to the most likely source.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is an original 3rd Model Dragoon from my collection - lots of obvious differences from the Fake. The threads on the fake are SAE - so it may have been fabricated in the US.

IMG_0738.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts