Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3rd Gen. SAA cylinder \"spacer\"

Noticed that the "spacer"or small bushing on the front of my 3rd generation SAA is becoming worn. I know this is "pressed in" and not removable,or full length,like earlier guns(poor idea). I checked GunParts on line catalog,and they are NOT listed as separate parts,so; 1)anyone know the place to find a new one? 2)How could the old one be removed,as it seems impossible to "punch,or press" it out from the ratchet end of the cylinder as there is nothing for a punch to make contact with? Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
Re: 3rd Gen. SAA cylinder \"spacer\"

I suspect the Colt factory uses a special "puller" to remove the bushing.

Short of returning it to the factory, what's needed is probably a milling machine to cut the old bushing out, without damaging the cylinder.

Then a lathe would be used to machine a new over sized bushing, which would be pressed in, then fitted to the frame.

Needless to say, this isn't something to be done at home, and I'd be be REAL CAREFUL about the gunsmith I'd trust to do this properly.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 3rd Gen. SAA cylinder \"spacer\"

Thanks,dafaris.Since I will have difficulty finding a bushing,or spacer,and getting the old one out, is definately NOT a job to do at home. I have access to an automotive type puller,and even contemplated locking vice grips to the bushing and having a go at it---for about 1 second! I have very thin spacer washers,and trued up the worn bushing with a file,then slipped washer over the pin(washer held to bushing by lite load of epoxy) & into cylinder. Worked fine,and I was mostly worried about excessive headspace. This is NOT a gun I fire a great deal,or with hot loads,which I suspect its prior owner did(300 gr. bullets,with around 9 grs. Unique,he told me & bore was very leaded). So I got the SAA quite cheaply($500) & used my Lewis Lead remover! Bud

1 - 3 of 3 Posts