Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I don't think this made it through the first time so reposting.

I am a new member not he forum and I am currently exploring the purchase of a 1996 Colt SAA 4.75 that came from colt with two cylinders (a 45LC and a 45ACP). I have the following questions:

1. For swapping out the cylinders, is it as simple as taking one out and replacing with the other or are there additional parts or components between one cylinder and the other? Ive read several post and may have confused myself int he process as I have seen folks talking about 45ACP cylinders requiring a bushing (i.e. removable bushing). My assumption is that since both came from Colt directly they should both be fitted the same and therefore I could just swap one for the other without additional parts etc..

2. I have also read post where folks have said to get the later generation guns past 2003 with removable bushings if you want to shoot dual cylinders. My question is Why? If Colt made the gun and fitted two cylinders does it really matter if the gun is post 2003 with removable bushings or pre 2003 with fixed bushing. What is the issue with fixed bushings?

3. Related to ammo, if Colt made the gun with two cylinders is it safe to shoot the 45 ACP cylinder with standard .45 ACP 230 grain ammo?? I have read a lot about reloading ammo and using different loads/grains/etc.., but to keep it simple I am just interested in knowing if standard store bought 230 grain ammo is a problem or not, and if so why? One of my key requirements for this 1996 gun is the fact that it came from colt with he dual cylinders and theirfore I would like to shoot them both, especially the ,45ACP since I have a 1911 as well.

Appreciate feedback on this. I know there are a lot of post relative to dual cylinders but I haven't seen any that just answer these simple questions?

Thanks,

OA

·
Registered
114 Posts
Congratulations on finding a dual cylinder Colt SAA. I own a couple of dual cylinder Colts and have one in 45 Colt/ACP. I'll try and answer your questions:

1. Yes it's as simple as dropping one cylinder out and replacing it with the other. No extra stuff needed.

2. If the cylinder was fit to the specific revolver, by Colt or a competent gunsmith, it doesn't matter if it has either type bushing.

3. There may be a slight difference in point of impact with 230 grain ACP as opposed to 250/255 grain 45 Colt loads. One may strike the target higher than the other, due to different bullet weights or velocities. No other issues that I've come across with mine.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your new Colt SAA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Thomasinaz,

Thank you very much for the straight answers on these questions. It helps a bunch!!! I read many other threads with different spins on the dual cylinders (i.e. fixed bushing vs removable and ammo loads which can crack the cylinders or not made for the gun etc..) and as mentioned may have only confused myself more. When I inspect the gun I will make sure both cylinders fit and feel secure etc..

Appreciate the quick feedback!!!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Hello Thomasinaz,

Thank you very much for the straight answers on these questions. It helps a bunch!!! I read many other threads with different spins on the dual cylinders (i.e. fixed bushing vs removable and ammo loads which can crack the cylinders or not made for the gun etc..) and as mentioned may have only confused myself more. When I inspect the gun I will make sure both cylinders fit and feel secure etc..

Appreciate the quick feedback!!!

The confusion about swapping cylinders with removable bushings has to do with this:

In the context of two cylinders made for the gun there's no issue.

The issue is when one wants to add a convertible cyl. With cyls that use removable bushings, one can add a 2nd cyl w/o any fitting. Just use the original cyl bushing for both cyls.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Welcome to the forum and we look forward to the photos. The one you bought just got added to my bucket list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts