Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a private conversation with Olof, he mentioned that he thought Colt had used some silver medallions on the 3rd Gen wood grips; possibly on some of the Stainless, E-nickel, and Bright nickel models (?).

Could anyone here help shed some light on this for me?

I was going to have him make-up some grips for me but didn't really know whether-or-not the silver medallions would be "correct".

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I'm not going to say "never"...just that I've not seen one. My e-nickel Python came with gold medallions on the stocks.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I'm sure that's possible...all it would take is a shortage of Python stocks with gold emblems so workers just reached for one with silver...or maybe it was intended for nickel or stainless guns.

Reactions: ei8ht and KMKCOLT

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,609 Posts
The use of nickel medallions seemed to be a totally random thing not related to the finish.
Up until the early to mid 1990's the Python was intended to have gold medallions.

In the early to mid 90's some models, usually stainless steel sometimes had silver as standard, but these were often special models and usually on rubber grips.
In the Python Elite production the laminated finger groove grips seemed to be both silver or gold with no particular rhyme or reason.

I've never seen silver medallions on a blued Python, but as always with Colt, strange things happen.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
I believe some of the late "Elite" type wood stocks may have had nickel silver medallions, but not 3rd generation wood stocks. Nickel or stainless stock screws and escutcheon nuts, but only gold medallions.

The thing is, there were no 3rd generation OMM, original Trooper, or 3 5 7 Model stocks (which would have had nickel medallions). None of these models were produced past 1970, these stocks would have been 2nd generation.

But, as always, with Colt anything is possible.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I'm sure that's possible...all it would take is a shortage of Python stocks with gold emblems so workers just reached for one with silver...or maybe it was intended for nickel or stainless guns.
This would be a very plausible explanation, especially if you consider other seemingly erratic things Colt has done in the past. I have never really seen a pattern in how the silver medallions were used, but you still can't help thinking that there was "a method to the madness". My best guess (if there was a method) would be that they came on some (but not all) stainless and/or nickel guns, but I have never really bothered to investigate it. I might be entirely wrong, but even if there are some Pythons with silver medallions, I still believe that gold is "always right" on a Python.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
This would be a very plausible explanation, especially if you consider other seemingly erratic things Colt has done in the past. I have never really seen a pattern in how the silver medallions were used, but you still can't help thinking that there was "a method to the madness". My best guess (if there was a method) would be that they came on some (but not all) stainless and/or nickel guns, but I have never really bothered to investigate it. I might be entirely wrong, but even if there are some Pythons with silver medallions, I still believe that gold is "always right" on a Python.
I don't believe that Colt had any of their suppliers of stocks make any 3rd generation stocks with silver medallions. The use of silver medallions in wood E/I-frame target stocks did not happen after 1970 (these would have been 2nd generation stocks), with the cessation of production of those models that had silver medallion target stocks.

Again, Elite wood stocks would be the exception, not 3rd generation.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I don't believe that Colt had any of their suppliers of stocks make any 3rd generation stocks with silver medallions. The use of silver medallions in wood E/I-frame target stocks did not happen after 1970 (these would have been 2nd generation stocks), with the cessation of production of those models that had silver medallion target stocks.

Again, Elite wood stocks would be the exception, not 3rd generation.
I'm not quite sure if I follow you here... are you saying that there are no gen 3 grips with silver medallions? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
I'm not quite sure if I follow you here... are you saying that there are no gen 3 grips with silver medallions? :confused:
Yes, that is the point. there are no 3rd generation wood I frame target stocks with nickel silver medallions.

The last revolver models that wore E/I-frame wood target stocks with silver medallions ceased production in 1970. These last two models were the OMM and the original Trooper. 3 5 7 Model production ceased in 1961.

1970 is solidly in the 2nd generation period. 3rd generation target stocks did not even appear until 1973 - 1974. The only model fitted with 3rd generation grips was the Python, which until the factory started using rubber and the Elite wood grips in the 1990's and later, always sported gold medallions.

Therefore, no 3rd generation wood target stocks with silver medallions.

I would love to be shown an example of 3rd generation I-frame target stocks with originally silver medallions, but I don't believe that there was such an animal.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Yes, that is the point. there are no 3rd generation wood I frame target stocks with nickel silver medallions.

The last revolver models that wore E/I-frame wood target stocks with silver medallions ceased production in 1970. These last two models were the OMM and the original Trooper. 3 5 7 Model production ceased in 1961.

1970 is solidly in the 2nd generation period. 3rd generation target stocks did not even appear until 1973 - 1974. The only model fitted with 3rd generation grips was the Python, which until the factory started using rubber and the Elite wood grips in the 1990's and later, always sported gold medallions.

Therefore, no 3rd generation wood target stocks with silver medallions.

I would love to be shown an example of 3rd generation I-frame target stocks with originally silver medallions, but I don't believe that there was such an animal.
Interesting. I have seen quite a few with silver medallions, but of course: That's not to say that they came like that from the factory.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Interesting. I have seen quite a few with silver medallions, but of course: That's not to say that they came like that from the factory.
You're right, that is interesting.

I've bought, sold, and handled a lot of E/I-frame target stocks over the years and have never seen any 3rd gen with silver medallions. There were no revolvers that they would have been "factory correct" for.

Plenty of 1st and 2nd gen with nickel silver medallions, where they would have been factory correct for the revolvers that they originally came from.

On the other hand, I've run across a lot of 1st and 2nd gen target stocks where the medallions have been noticeably changed to gold, to create more valuable "Python" stocks.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You're right, that is interesting.

I've bought, sold, and handled a lot of E/I-frame target stocks over the years and have never seen any 3rd gen with silver medallions. There were no revolvers that they would have been "factory correct" for.

Plenty of 1st and 2nd gen with nickel silver medallions, where they would have been factory correct for the revolvers that they originally came from.

On the other hand, I've run across a lot of 1st and 2nd gen target stocks where the medallions have been noticeably changed to gold, to create more valuable "Python" stocks.
I figure the ones I have seen have had the medallions changed then, or possibly reproductions. This is actually good news, as I don't need to offer silver medallions with my reproductions anymore. One less to keep in stock is always good. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
I figure the ones I have seen have had the medallions changed then, or possibly reproductions. This is actually good news, as I don't need to offer silver medallions with my reproductions anymore. One less to keep in stock is always good. ;)
Your reproductions look fantastic.

I was thinking earlier today about some early flat edge nickel silver medallions that I acquired from Mike Poulin, and how good they would look in a pair of your gen 1 E/I-frame stocks. They were the first post-mount medallions used by Colt after WW II and the colt and lettering look like the pre-war flush medallions.

132.JPG

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Your reproductions look fantastic.

I was thinking earlier today about some early flat edge nickel silver medallions that I acquired from Mike Poulin, and how good they would look in a pair of your gen 1 E/I-frame stocks. They were the first post-mount medallions used by Colt after WW II and the colt and lettering look like the pre-war flush medallions.

View attachment 446209
Thanks! I would love to get hold of the flat edge medallions, but I suspect that the ones you got were take-offs? So far I haven't been able to locate any reproductions of these, let alone unused originals. It might be time to find an outfit where I can have these made, I figure I'm noot the only one looking for them.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Thanks! I would love to get hold of the flat edge medallions, but I suspect that the ones you got were take-offs? So far I haven't been able to locate any reproductions of these, let alone unused originals. It might be time to find an outfit where I can have these made, I figure I'm noot the only one looking for them.
The medallion in my photo above is a vintage one mounted in a pair of 1st generation E/I targets that I traded a while back. I have about 8 NOS pair that I got from Mike.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
The medallion in my photo above is a vintage one mounted in a pair of 1st generation E/I targets that I traded a while back. I have about 8 NOS pair that I got from Mike.
Nice! Do you want to be my friend and send me a Christmas present...? ;) Seriously, does he sell these medallions somewhere, or how do you get hold of them?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
This is my sentiment as well, there were NO 3rd gens with silver medallions. I have never seen a pair.

From my observations, gold medallions were reserved for the Python from inception. In the '70s however, Colt decided to use the gold medallions on some other models such as Diamondback. It wasn't the other way around.

Then in the early '80s, when stainless got big and blued Pythons began to disappear, the wood target stocks disappeared with them. If you think about it, after stainless emerged, no Pythons really got 3rd gen wood target stocks again, except the few blue examples they put out, and maybe a rare bright nickel. Every 3rd gen I have ever seen from the '80s had gold medallions, including ones with the 150th anniversary medallions. So that is '86 and later. By the '90s, wood target grips were done.

For rubber and Python Elite laminate stocks, the medallion color is of little importance and doesn't adhere to anything, except perhaps more being silver than anything.

Glad 73shovel could back that up, as he has dealt in grips for a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts