Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm totally new to Colt SAA stuff and have a few questions.

I've read the Standard Catalog of Colt (hereafter SCofC) and can't figure out exactly how a 3rd gen differs from the 2nd gen except for date of manufacture. There must be difference or they would not be called 3rd gen. Are 3rd gen SAA's something to treasure like older ones or are they just the evolution of a firearm into a cheaper modern version? It sure doesn't look like a cheaply made gun.

Secondly, I just bought a gun that the original owner said it came out of the 'Colt custom shop' around 1980. It is beautiful blue/case colored and has gorgeous Colt installed/fit, numbered to the gun, stag grips, 4 5/8 barrel in .45lc. There's nothing special engraved on the gun to make it look like anything but a regular Colt except for the beautiful grips.I can't find anything out about this gun.

Whats even more confusing is that the SCofC says that around 1978 the serial numbering changed to SAxxxxxx, etc. My gun has serial number S0xxxxxA. It doesn't seem to fit into the described serial number standard, early or late, mentioned in the SCoC.

Is mine a 3rd gen or is it something more?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have no pics yet but will get some.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
You have a 3rd Gen. Call Colt Customer service and they can give you month and year it left the factory.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Your serial # range started in 1993 with the S----A series, 3rd generations.
A quick visual of the trigger guard on a 2nd gen, will have a beveled edge where it meets the frame. Should have a thicker trigger & a different hammer. The grips are thicker. Not to mention internals.
These differences are compared with the eagle grip guns of 2nd & 3rds.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Very nice gun, S02001A-S07005A serial numbers were born in 1993 ,with S07006A starting the year 1994. The stags look really nice also. Have fun with a super fine firearm.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I like the look of those stags. If you get the chance, a photo of the other side would be nice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
again, sorry for the crap photography and glare. This side matches the other very well.

Are 3rd gen as sought after as 2nd gen?

thanks for all the above replies.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oldpilgrim, youve ask a good question and Im not sure it can be answered, for every guy wanting a second gen gun there is another wanting a 3rd gen gun and it probably has a lot to do with how deep each individuals pockets are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Another question.Is the case coloring just 'painted' on like other brands do or is it real? I,d like to know what care I need to give it when cleaninng it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The casehardening color is the result of a process and is etched into the steel. As for taking care of an SAA, I treat them as I do with all my firearms. I use Remoil on the insides of the barrels, cylinder bores and on other moving parts and I wax the Blued areas, casehardened areas, anodized areas of guns with it with Min Wax I purchase at Lowes, I normally put the wax on with my bare fingers and then remove and buff with micro clothes. During the buffing process I wear white cotton gloves and also wear them putting the guns in my safes. Ive never experienced corrosion issues with this process. Im sure other members of the forum have gun care ideas they will share as well.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Another question.Is the case coloring just 'painted' on like other brands do or is it real? I,d like to know what care I need to give it when cleaninng it.

Yes, the case coloring is "real." It is also fairly "delicate," and continued shooting, handling, cleaning, rubbing, and exposure to sunlight will cause it to wear/fade. Some people find the wear/patina attractive. However, if you want it to have the best chance of remaining as new, you need to minimize all the above. Some lacquer/varnish on the case colors will help protect them if you so desire.

John Gross

1 - 13 of 13 Posts