Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to All,

The tritium Python (Cobra, actually) front sight I ordered from Brownells arrived today. I thought that the forum might be interested in seeing one, so here's a few quickie shots of what it looks like. I secured it and the tiny Allen screw that holds it with Loctite.

Click on the photos and they get larger with each click:

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The tritium front sight is visibly lower than the original orange ramp, so you may have to re-zero for your favorite load.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Now Colt or an aftermarket supplier needs to come out with a matching tritium rear sight.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I have a Lew Horton S&W model 66-3 with that sight. The sight relatively soon lost its glow. I called the company (but lost the info) and they said they could recharge it or however, for something like $20. I forgot about it but should do it. Just have to find the info again. Years ago I was a night watchman so it made a lot of sense, not so much now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's absolutely true. I suspect that the Chinese Corvid-19 pandemic is going to make finding any new Pythons very hard for a long time.
I'm certainly glad that I was luck enough to find mine when I did.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Yes, no, maybe. I think many of us are going broke due to the virus. Might see a lot of used ones for sale cheap if this drags on long.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The tritium front sight is visibly lower than the original orange ramp, so you may have to re-zero for your favorite load.
This brings up a good point. I hate the ramp style sights because I can never figure out how the sight is "supposed" to look like. Am I supposed to line up the bottom part of the orange strip with the top of the notch or the bottom? Or is it the top of the orange strip with the top of the notch? Or maybe the center?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Who's grip maker? Appreciate it.
Breeze,

The grips are custom made Hogue Monogrips. The usual Hogue Monogrip didn't fit my hand very well, nor did it have the speed loader clearance I wanted, so I called Hogue and they custom made me a slimmer set of Monogrips with better speed loader clearance for HKS and Safariland speed loaders. I was told to expect maybe 6 weeks to get them. but they were delivered 10 days from the day I placed the order. That's gotta be some kind of record.

I like them a lot and they handle magnum recoil very well. The grip below is the one that was a little too fat for me...

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I was able to finally shoot it today with the new tritium front sight. Not a long session but I put 75 rounds of Fiocchi 125gr magnum and 25 rounds of 125gr Critical Defense magnum through it. As I suspected, because the tritium sight is lower than the orange ramp front sight, I had to lower the rear sight quite a bit to bring the POI down. While re-sighting the elevation, the windage adjustment came loose again so that had to be re-sighted too.

I'll be the first one in line for a new rear sight, but other than that it shot really well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I got around to cleaning the Python the other day. In checking the screws, the left side frame screw under the cylinder was a bit loose, which was a surprise. I cleaned and re-secured it with a stronger Loctite.

The tiny .050 Allen windage screw was also loose again, which was not a surprise since I had shot the pistol some more right after I tightened it during the above shooting session.

All the other screws, including the Allen screw securing the front sight, were good to go. Total round count is now a bit over 1000 rounds with no issues other than the loose screw annoyance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That’s some good info with a good amount of rounds through the gun. I’m not worried about the loose screws. Sooner or later we will get the color of Loctite that will hold it together
I use purple on all my pistols. Especially on grips and sights. It's really easy to break with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That’s some good info with a good amount of rounds through the gun. I’m not worried about the loose screws. Sooner or later we will get the color of Loctite that will hold it together
I've heard that the new Persimmon Loctite is the cat's pajamas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts