Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4\" .38 Diamondback info......

I'm usually lurking on the S&W forums as my main interest regarding revolvers are the models made in Mass. I have always had a deep respect for the Pythons, DS's, OM match,etc. I even carried a DS for a few years as an OD gun. Anyway I just fell into a Colt as a gift.

It's A four inch nickeled Diamondback,in .38 Special,serial # D838XX unfired, a few minor scratches, I'd rate it at least 95%, no box or papers. It was my Wife's Dad's "nightstand gun" for many years. He replaced it with a small S&W snubbie a decade ago and it sat in his safe.

I know the .22's are quite rare, how rare is this gun and what would be a ballpark price on what its worth. NOT going to sell it just curious.

FN in MT

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: 4\" .38 Diamondback info......

Hi, Frank - and WELCOME! Sorry to hear you won't sell! One of those is on my list. I saw a few Diamondbacks at the Wichita Gun Show just this afternoon. (Some of the very, very few Colts present.)A 4" blue was $600. He had two, 2 1/2" ers for $695 and one for still more. He had no nickeled ones. In nice shape, I'm sure it would bring $700 plus around here, even without the box and papers. I'm fairly sure, from other sources on these pages, that the .38 4" is the most common DB, but in nickel, it would be more scarce. The .22 six inchers are very scarce. Best ask our man called, "Diamondback 68," about them. I know them to be very accurate and a very pleasant gun for target shooting for people with average and smaller hands. Their S&W counterpart would be their #15. (John Wayne carries a 4" .38 in his movie, "Brannigan." But even HIS isn't nickel plated!)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Frank
WELCOME to the forum, stick around, there are a great bunch of guys here that are glad to help.
rcw pretty much hit the highlights. A 4" nickel 38SPL even without box and papers, will still bring about $700, at least $750 with "goodies".
If the nickel is intact, even with minor scratches, your 95% estimate may be conservative, only you know for sure. If you can, find a tube of "Flitz" paste, and with a soft cloth, the worst scratches can be GENTLY buffed out. To shine the rest of the piece, I recommend "Mother's Chrome Polish" available a Wally-World for about $3.95, or Simi-chrome available at most Harley Davidson shops. Expect your hands to get black. I've not used it on any of my Diamondbacks, cause they never needed it, but it worked great on a cruddy nickel DS I got recently.
Ask questions, we love 'em and post pictures if you can, we love 'em even more.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Frank
Almost forgot, that gun was made in the fourth year of production. Colt made them from 1966 to 1986, serial numbers ran prefix D, R, N, S, etc. Yours dates to 1970, so it sounds like the condition is pretty nice for a 34 year old gun.

P.S. Be very careful you don't get bitten by the "snake" virus or I gaurantee, it won't be you last one.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 01-04-2004).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the info. The condition at 95% is VERY conservative. Have to break out the Simichrome and gently have at it.

I'll do a digital and try to post it later.

FN in MT

·
Registered
95 Posts

The prices for Diamondbacks have skyrocketed in the past few years. They are rapidly becoming just as expensive as Pythons.

·
Registered
48 Posts

i wouldnt leave itin a nylon holster for any length of time..i had a smith combat magnum that had the nickel finish dulled somehow by a nylon holster.. might be other cercumstances to make this happen tho.. dave.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Nylon can be abrasive to the finish, I also would not recommend leaving any firearm in a leather holster since leather will absorb moisture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts