1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Poor photography, I can't read the markings on the barrel. It would be a cheap buy if it is a real one. Shouldn't the box have a "Nickel" sticker? I suspect a refinish and I'm not sure the wear on the stocks match the wear on the revolver. More investigating is in order. The box alone should be worth $200-$300. What say you Snakeman?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I just talked to the gun shop selling it. Gun is refinished. He will add a note saying that it is. Still not a horrible deal, but being a purist, I am not going to touch it.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked if the original paperwork indicated either blue or nickel finish. Just got an email back from the seller stating no mention of the original finish on the ales receipt. The little white "NICKEL" stickers fall off these boxes all the time so it's hard to say if it was an original nickel gun or not. Thanks to WinstonWolfe we now know it's been refinished. The blue "case extractor star" indicated a probably refinish. I agree with Hootch56 that the box itself should be worth at least $200...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The seller (gun shop) said that it was the consignor's father's duty gun. I doubt they carried nickeled revolvers in Chicago. I am guessing the old man decided to make it pretty and nickeled it after he retired.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
The seller (gun shop) said that it was the consignor's father's duty gun. I doubt they carried nickeled revolvers in Chicago. I am guessing the old man decided to make it pretty and nickeled it after he retired.
I don't know about Chicago, but the Detroit PD issued nickel Colt and S&W revolvers for years.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
He did add to the description to say that the gun was likely nickeled (implying refinished). He can't do anything else with a live auction.

It's been 3 days since Winnie contacted the seller. He still hasn't added the information that the gun has been refinished.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
I have a Trooper .38 that I'm inclined to believe that this is why its nickel.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

Chicago PD officers bought their own guns from an approved list for many years. My last one was a 4" Nickled S&W M&P .38 special from 1955. C.P.D. had another tradition also. The officers would have their names engraved on the gun usually on the sideplate.

Best,
Charles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts