Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
4" Colt Lawman 357 w/ 2" Barrel Replacement = 2" Snubby w/ Square Butt not Round?

back story: I recently bought a blued lawman snubby (pictured) and was disappointed to find the target stocks I had bought separately didn't quite fit due to the 2" lawman having a rounded butt. I'm buying another lawman (nickel) in a few days, 4" variety, that has the square butt... I also just purchased separately a 2" barrel off ebay with the intent of switching out barrels so as to have a 2" Lawman with square butt and target stocks... Questions: any issues with doing this? is the ejector rod the same length? what issues are there if any with swapping the barrels? generally, what would a gunsmith charge for swapping barrels? Thanks in advance!!!
IMG_2193.jpg IMG_2195.jpg s-l1600.jpg 20160203_172831_resized.jpg IMG_2200.jpg

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,541 Posts
The ejector rod is the same for the 4 inch and 2 inch barrels so you're good there.

A barrel switch should be an easy change since the threads are the same and the frames are the same except for the shape of the grip frame.

There's no way to give even a ball park price for re-barreling since gunsmiths charge a wide range of prices for the work.

I would be VERY careful who I allow to do a barrel change, since very few gunsmiths will have the correct frame wrench and the tooling to re-cut the barrel-cylinder gap and re-cut and lap the forcing cone.
In fact, even some professional gunsmiths don't know these need to be even done, much less having the tools to do it.

Unless you KNOW a local is competent I recommend sending it to Frank Glenn for top quality work.
Glenn is a member here and a well known Master Colt pistolsmith.
He's done work for members and gets a top reputation.
Since it's terribly easy to botch up a good gun, having the job done by an uncertain gunsmith is a case of "Penny wise, Dollar foolish".

Glenn is very competitive and fast.

Frank Glenn-Glenn Custom Complete Gunsmithing Service Glendale AZ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, sounds good, really need to find someone in Texas since shipping out of state gets expensive and involved

·
Registered
497 Posts
All I'll say is this; it's an old Colt not a Glock. You'll want a true expert, not a dime-a-dozen parts installer. Good luck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't know of anybody really in Texas that I would send my DA Colts to. But there is a SAA smith that is well known and respected that is out of Houston. I have never used him but have heard and read some good stuff about his work. I do not know if he does work on the DA revolvers but you can ask. I assume he is still in business since it has been a few years since I read about him and I don't even know if the contact info is still any good, but worth a try. Alan Harton at [email protected] or 713.907.6031. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
texman, no lie, when i started reading your post I looked at the poster name to make sure I had not written it myself, cause I have been forming in my mind just how I wanted to word the exact same question.

I have a four inch, little nicer than "shooter" grade; that I know I won't ever get full use from unless I put on the stub barrel I already bought. Incidentally from the recently passed Jim Alaimo of Nutmeg Sports.

So by all means post up your completed project !!

By the way, while the wrap-a-round target stocks seem to "over power" a stub, there are "service" type stocks available for the Lawman MK III sq. butt.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Sent it off to Frank Glenn today will post some pics when I get it back, thanks everyone for the advice!
Get ready to be surprised at how fast the gun gets back to you. Mr. Glenn is one of the best in the country and still has a fast turnaround time on repairs. He is a great man to deal with.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get ready to be surprised at how fast the gun gets back to you. Mr. Glenn is one of the best in the country and still has a fast turnaround time on repairs. He is a great man to deal with.
And I second that, Frank will do a great job for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
texman, no lie, when i started reading your post I looked at the poster name to make sure I had not written it myself, cause I have been forming in my mind just how I wanted to word the exact same question.

I have a four inch, little nicer than "shooter" grade; that I know I won't ever get full use from unless I put on the stub barrel I already bought. Incidentally from the recently passed Jim Alaimo of Nutmeg Sports.

So by all means post up your completed project !!

By the way, while the wrap-a-round target stocks seem to "over power" a stub, there are "service" type stocks available for the Lawman MK III sq. butt.
OK, just got it back and took it straight to the range, shoots high & to the right and may have to have it shaved a bit as it hung up a bit, gaps too tight... but love the look and I'm sure it's not a 1 off but I'd be surprised if there are many out there??? Anyway, I'm very pleased over-all... here's some pics, pretty cool... IMG_2736.jpg IMG_2740.jpg IMG_2741.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts